Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rad/engine Fan Question

I got a 2000 C2 6speed ROW. When I start the engine the radiator fans dont work, even the engine fan. is this normal? If it is, at what point in the engine temp will they start working?

Its pretty hot on where I am. I always get my temps above 80 in the coolant gauge. If I get into a medium traffic it goes to 100 and above in my guage. I was wondering if this temp readings are normal. The outside temp on where I am is 32-34 c. Thanks in advance.

• Admin

"Electric fans (radiator fans)

There are two radiator modules installed in the front of the vehicle (on the left- and right-hand side). These radiators are each fitted with an electric fan. They can be operated at two speeds and are activated by the DME control unit whenever the following conditions apply:

Electric fan, speed 1

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 35)

Coolant temperature higher than 96.75° C or air conditioning switched on.

Electric fan, speed 2

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 36)

Coolant temperature> 102° C or air-conditioning fluid pressure switch closed (coolant pressure> 16 bar).

Note: The electric fans for the radiators are only triggered when the engine is running!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Compartment Purge Fan

To reduce the temperature of the engine compartment, a fan actuated by the DME control unit is installed under the ventilation grille of the engine cover.

If the fan is active, fresh air is fed into the engine compartment. The fan can only be actuated 100 seconds after the engine has been started.

Functioning

1- With engine running or ignition on:

If the engine temperature is higher than 102° C and the engine compartment temperature is higher than 60°C, the engine compartment fan is switched on for 30 seconds by the DME control unit and the engine compartment is thus ventilated.

2 - Engine compartment fan if vehicle is stationary and engine is switched off (after-running of control unit):

If the engine compartment temperature is higher than 60° plus C when the engine is switched off (ignition off) or if the engine stalls (engine speed: 0 rpm), after-running of the DME control unit lasting 20 min. begins. The DME relay remains active.

After-running of the fan continues until the programmed time has expired (20 min.) or until the next engine start after which the engine runs for more than 100 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is higher than 84.75° C during after-running of the control unit, the engine compartment fan is started and runs for 30 seconds.

If, at the end of the operation period (30 seconds), the engine compartment temperature is still higher than 84.75° C, the engine compartment fan is started and runs for another 30 seconds, etc. If the temperature now drops below the threshold (84.75° C), a polling pause lasting 10 seconds occurs.

Note: If the engine temperature has not dropped below 80.25°C after the engine compartment fan has been running for 25 seconds, a fan fault is registered and the coolant level warning lamp is activated (flashes)."

Quoted from the MY1999 Carrera (996) Service Information Book - available here for viewing by our Contributing Members.