Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Rattle

Hi

Hope you can help.

I started a thread for this a couple of days ago but in the wrong place making it hard to find.

I will start from the beginning my car is a 98 2.5 originally and has now been upgraded to a 2002 3.2S

the engine came from ebay supposedly in full working order

a wiring loom also from ebay

alarm ecu and transponder also from ebay

then odometer, abs, AC controller, seat belts, throttle pedal from local supplier

after some slight modifications to engine loom (wires in wrong place or missing) the engine fired up and all codes were deleted

now there is this rattle like a loose heat shield coming from the engine. all heat shields checked and fine it appears to be coming from left bank of engine.

I have video'd it to try and capture the sound I am pretty sure the engine is going to have to come out but I would like your input to localize the problem

Any pointers will help

• Moderators

Hard to say, but it seems more than a loose heat shield to me. I would start with rotating the crankshaft manually and good listen where the noise is coming from, and feel at the same time, if the crankshaft turns smoothly without any resistance on the full rotation.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I have an update I have started dis assembling the car to take the engine out and whilst disassembling the exhaust system i have noticed alot of oil it can practically be poured out of it

does this help me lead to a diagnosis

Ross

I have removed the ims bearing cover and this is what i found

post-11234-127297435588_thumb.jpg

Nothing left of the bearing

my next question is with the ims bearing disintegrating like this is there likely to be dmage to other areas of the engine.

I bought this engine about 8 months ago off of ebay and can not contact the seller anymore account (withdrawn) but have some questions about the engine. it was listed as a boxster S 2002 engine but there is something odd about it like wiring differences which I had to change to get the engine to start. and the fact that it has a variocam setup i have not seen (if it is variocam) I looked for the engine serial number which seems to be blank. flat bit on one of the halves of the crank case.

here is a pic of where there variocam should be

post-11234-127297524926_thumb.jpg

post-11234-127297537191_thumb.jpg

It is possible that the camshafts have jumped out of time. You need to verify the camshaft timing and if everything is ok contact LN Engineering as they have the most experts on this subject.

• Admin

found the engine serial it was under grime

m96/2467405525

is there anywhere or one that can tell me what engine this is i.e year and capacity etc

Regards

Ross

Actually that would be M96-24 serial 674 05525

Which would be 2004 Boxster S 3.2 liter engine 260 HP.

is that vario cam 2 then that might explain why it looks different

how does vario cam 2 work without the chain tensioning element

i have answered my own question with google. it is variocam plus does anyone have the wiring diagrams for a 2004 engine.