Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P1316, P1317, P1318, P1319

Hey guys, drove my car last week about 80 miles, parked it in the garage.

Started it up tonight and car would not idle. Took it for a run to town and back no codes...and no idle (stalled at every light)

Drove another 6-8 miles still no CEL and car still would not idle. Parked in Garage and finally had pending codes 1316, 1317, 1318, 1319. but no CEL.

I searched and found out the codes are cylider 4-5-6 misfire and emmision related missfire...but why no CEL?

Had the engine in and out in the winter and replaced both camshaft chains, variocam shoes, IMS bearing, RMS, clutch, etc and have driven car numerous times since.

I was getting a re-occuring CEL and added Techron last time I fueled up. Car is about 3/4 full.

I guess the question is why no CEL, even though car will not idle, and why all of a sudden?

• Admin

P1316 Misfire, Cylinder 4, Emission Relevant

P1317 Misfire, Cylinder 5, Emission Relevant

P1318 Misfire, Cylinder 6, Emission Relevant

P1319 Misfire, Emission Relevant

Possible causes:

- Fouled, faulty or incorrect spark plugs

- Contact resistance

- Loose contacts

- Camshaft control poorly adjusted

Perhaps your CEL is burnt out?

Perhaps your CEL is burnt out?

No it comes on with every key on sequence... then goes out as it should..

I have a durametric (just got it) I guess I will have to hook it up tomorrow and see what I can learn from it.

I guess I will check all the leads on the drivers side and make sure the coils are tight, and change plugs...

Changed plugs and checked coils on 4-5-6...plugs needed changing.

Car idles now when started, but when approaching a stop sign it will stall...starts right up again.

Cleared codes and none have re-appeared. Going to try cleaning MAF now..

• Moderators

Since you have replaced the camshaft chains, variocams etc. would it not be possible that the cause of your problem can be found in this area?

Some M96 engines have only one camshaft sensor (country dependant), the cylinder bank without the sensor can not put a fault code in that case.

Since you have replaced the camshaft chains, variocams etc. would it not be possible that the cause of your problem can be found in this area?

Some M96 engines have only one camshaft sensor (country dependant), the cylinder bank without the sensor can not put a fault code in that case.

Car is a 1997, US model. It has 2 camhaft sensors. When I changed the MAF, the air intake tube looked loose on the throttle body. After wriggling it around I found

it to be disconnected. Re-attached and it seems to be good now. It's possible that I did not get it far enough on when I re-installed the engine. It must have pulled off as

I have driven the car several times when the weather was decent...after re-installing the MAF I got code 102....but I cleared it and it has not re-appeared...weird.

• 11 years later...

I also have this CEL, and had the same idle stalling after a series of intermittent starts where the ECU would rev up to 2k. The source was a very contaminated Idle Control Valve which was stuck closed. Clean this out with some carb cleaner. I soaked in acetone overnight and replaced the unit after aggressive brushing to get enough carbon off to pry open.