Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Another PSE rattle

Hey,

My left muffler has started to rattle when Engine is idle, If I just take the AC pump off and the engine then drops 200 RPM it stops. Even when I give it a little throttle it goes away.....But the rattle at idle drives me nuts. :cursing: Porsche has tried to look at it and says it might be something that is loose inside the muffler, which leave me to "buy a new muffler" :eek: I know there is a TSB about putting a 3.6 Liter PSE muffler on a car with 3.4 liter engine, but can I still get the 3.4 Liter muffler ? or do I then have to buy 2 new mufflers then ?

Porsche did not take the bumper off to check the rattle, they did not even lift the car up. But is there ANY tips on what to do, or to even check if they are right about that it is something loose inside the muffler ? can I tighten any bolts or what ?

Just for info I have the bypass switch installed.

Does any of you maybe have a used left PSE muffler I can buy.

Please help.

:drive:

• Admin

If there is a rattle then it is likely a broken weld inside the muffler (in my experience). You might be able to find a used 3.4 (original) PSE muffler at wrecking yard or on eBay. If you can't then you will need to replace both mufflers with the newer type.

Before you spend your money on a new muffler I suggest you check the insulating material that is fitted inside the rear bumper. My car [99C2] had an annoying rattle from the rear muffler area on one side. I found that the insulating material had not been located correctly at the factory, one piece was touching another at idle. If you raise the car then hit the bumper or muffler with your hand it will rattle if that is what your problem is.

Okay, whent to Porsche today. The plan right now is to tighten everything and see if that changes anything. If not they will try to see if it is possible that Porsche will eat the bill for 2 new mufflers, as I said to them....3 years driving and 60000 Km with a PSE can´t be normal for a stainless steal muffler.

Okay, whent to Porsche in Denmark so they could take a closer look at the PSE mufflers.

Here are some pictures of what they found, :soapbox:

991s641127_1.JPG

991s641127_2.JPG

991s641127_3.JPG

991s641127_4.JPG

991s641127_5.JPG

:eek:

Well this job is NOT done by the good shop in Denmark (which now try to help me), but is done by the german Porsche dealer where i bought the car from.

The car is bought with PSE and they installed (I paided) the bypass switch before I got the car 8 month ago.

The story is to be continued............

Edited by P.Viby

Mine looks exactly the same on the driver side! It sounded like a loose beer can inside the muffler. I managed to bend the smaller heat shield so it would stop making noise. When the dealer checked it out, by banging on the exhaust with a rubber mallet, the passenger side sounded even worse, like it had a lot of loose parts inside of it. This is all very disconcerting to me since the PSE is a very expensive upgrade compared to other aftermarket choices. The dealer is going to warranty both mufflers and replace them with the newer style PSE.

Unless the sound of the new PSE just blows me away I'll take 'em off and sell them before they rattle too.

Edited by dj996

YEP, But don´t come and tell that they are surposed to look like this. I would like to see the workshop manual that describes that you need to find the biggest hammer in the shop and start hammering on the muffler until everything fits.

That could be an idea........but right now I need them to accept that they have made a huge F***UP......and replace them.

Just found these mufflers on Ebay :eek:

How can people try to sell this :unsure:

post-1237-1100823746.jpg

Edited by P.Viby

I stand corrected, I crawled up under the car and the mufflers are definitely mashed in just like yours. I can also plainly see on the driver side that the vacum diaphram is rubbing against the heat shield on the body of the car and left a nice big gouge! The other side appears to have more clearance. Overall not very nice.

Edited by dj996

Nope, I just don´t get it why they would make something like that. Will wait and see what Porsche tells me.

I wonder what happens to the welds and internals when they smash in the body of the muffler. Nothing good I'm sure. This may or may not explain why my muffler sounds like it has a loose beer can inside when struck with a rubber mallet. :censored:

Okay. Here is the result.

http://www3.us.porsche.com/isapi/english/u...kat=Performance

The link as you can see comes from Porsche Tequipment.

As you can all see, this is actually how they make the PSE for the 3.4 liter 996.. :unsure:

Now we can just pray for that it is not done with a hammer :notworthy:

End of story........ <_<

Edited by P.Viby