Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check Engine light

Today on the way to lunch in my 99 Boxster 35K miles. The check engine light came on and the engine seems to run rough at low RPM. I have checked the gas cap and it is on tight. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Thanks

Joel

Today on the way to lunch in my 99 Boxster 35K miles. The check engine light came on and the engine seems to run rough at low RPM. I have checked the gas cap and it is on tight. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Thanks

Joel

You can go to Pepboy or Autozone to have the OBD code read out first. After that, you will have better idea of what happened to your lovely Boxster. It is no charge.

free of charge! Now that is a really cool service. I am going to a friend of mine's shop to have him read the codes for me and see what they are. It is good to have friends that work at Euro car shops.

Well I just got it checked it seems that the MAF is getting a low voltage signal and that is what is setting off the light. So I think that the MAF is going bad and I am going to get a new one :(.

You sure the code states [via OBDII] that your MAF is going bad. Off the top my head P101 is a bad MAF.

Even then you need to check voltage before that assumption is made.

Tool 9616 to pin it out.

Scott

• Admin
Well I just got it checked it seems that the MAF is getting a low voltage signal and that is what is setting off the light. So I think that the MAF is going bad and I am going to get a new one :(.

You sure the code states [via OBDII] that your MAF is going bad. Off the top my head P101 is a bad MAF.

Even then you need to check voltage before that assumption is made.

Tool 9616 to pin it out.

Scott

Correct P101, P102 and P103 are all MAF faults.

well today I cleaned the MAF and disconnected the battery the light went out but then after about 10 miles of driving the light came back on so my guess is that the MAF is bad.  :(

Rolla, I have the same problem, CEL comes on. My code is P1128. I thought it was the O2 sensor and bought a new one only to discover it's a vacuum leak. (Which I can't find.) Boy the '99s are real killers on the CEL, huh?

Keoni

Having your CEL light go out and then coming back on is only indicative of a problem. The only resolution is to have your code read and then to figure a viable resolution.

Report back, I have bought a very good investment; the OBDII manual which will prove to be invaluable. My suggestion is to buy a copy for yourself and then be free to diagnose your own problems. The answers [many] are within it's borders.

If you don't have a TIP don't bother with I. If you have a TIP I have friend with many...

Scott

I had the code read by a mechanic friend of mine who said the MAF was bad.

Also during testing. you can watch the read for flow of air in in the engine measured in g/s even while pressing the accelerator this value never moved which indicates that the MAF is not measuring anything and the car is working off of a set value.