Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best Track (R-Spec) Tyres For A Gt3 996

JBW

Hi from OZ fellow GT3 lovers

- really like some un-biased advice re BEST R-SPEC TYRES FOR A GT3

IE - FAST ON A TRACK - BUT STILL USEABLE ON THE ROAD - LEGALLY!

Guessing Treadwear/softness 80 or lower

Michelin Pilot Sports often seen (think they were original fitment on my 2004 car)

- but I hear they are super dangerous in the wet on the road - just no grip.

There seem to be a number of non "big-name" supplier now offering R-specs that are very good value

- price relative to life - eg Hancock

Obviously - 18 inch - 235/295 - perhaps you can run up to 305 on the rear?

thanks

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Pilot Sports are a road tyre - fine in the wet

Pilot Sport Cups are a track orientated tyre, but still road legal - ok in damp, lethal in standing water

they also have a very narrow operating temperature band for the best grip - you really have to work them to get them into that band

Pirelli Corsa R are the best all round;

excellent road manners, with good track manners, a wide operating temp band, and don't suddenly 'go off' when you over cook them - a progressive tyre

Toyo R888 are also good; they are also the cheapest of the group

some say the GT3 is too heavy a car for these - I think that it depends upon your driving style TBH - if you are way aggressive, then maybe so; if you are silky smooth, then I think they work just fine

If you overcook them, they do go off and get 'greasy'

get a pyrometer - you are looking for a couple of deg differential max across the width of the tyre as you come straight off track. Any more then the pressure / geometry is wrong

305 on the rear will upset the balance - dont do it !

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with Michelin is that they are great in the wet...until they aren't, meaning that when you finally lose traction its hard to get it back. I am still experimenting with this phenomena in conjunction with PASM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running MSPC's on my 996 (wtih a few GT3 bits). They are fine on a wet track (assuming unshaved!). Mostly more grip than nerve - able to keep up with the AWD guys on wet surfaces. Realistically, any R compound tire is going to struggle in the real world on very wet surfaces, that's just not what they were meant to deal wtih. I have not experience with the Pirelli's, but agree with the assessment of the MPSC's. They can be tricky to get right on the track but work well when you do. They can be quite unpleasnt and feel quite greasy when they are too hot. I've got friends running the Toyo's, and at least in the US, I'd guess the price difference (not much) doesn't jsutify the performance delta. I must say, I've been very impressed with the durability of the Michelins - they've withstood lots of track abuse (no appreciable street use). Of course once you get R's that you like, you'll immediately have Hoosier envy.

• 2 years later...

Hankook TD (but only up to 295s (dubious wet performance though I would say)

888's are very popular here around Adelaide, but again the reports arent favourable on wet roads.

I understand that Bridgestone is releasing an R spec tyre soon that meets CAMS but also gives up to 8000km of road use (without punishing it). Its supposed to have considerably more "temp cycles" in it than the 888's. This was from a Bridgestone rep of course.

Personally I would still go for 888's myself and just not drive bravely in the wet. A friend just put a set on his RUF 930. 315's on 18 inch rims but his car wears them well due to adustable suspension all round (toe and camber etc)