Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Cayenne S Will Not Start

My firend just got his 2004 Cayenne S back from the body shop last nigh after someone hit it while his wife was driving it several weeks ago. His wife went out to drive it a few hours ago. She put the key in the ignition, the various lights came on and then went out immediately. The key is locked in place.

Seems like a battery issue or an ignition switch issue. Is this a normal response from a weak or dead battery? Or, is there some other possible cause.

Because the ignition switch will not turn, he can't even get the vehicle into neutral to push it out of the garage.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

Thanks Loren. Do all Cayenne S's have two batteries? We can't find one in the back under the spare tire area and that seems to be where the manual says the second one would be. Or, is the only battery under the driver's seat.

Could the body shop have disconnected the electrical circuit somewhere while working on the bumper?

In the absence of effective charging of the battery through the terminals in the engine compartment, we will have to find the tool that removes the bolts on the seat to get to the battery.

Again, thanks.

Thanks Loren. Do all Cayenne S's have two batteries? We can't find one in the back under the spare tire area and that seems to be where the manual says the second one would be. Or, is the only battery under the driver's seat.

Could the body shop have disconnected the electrical circuit somewhere while working on the bumper?

In the absence of effective charging of the battery through the terminals in the engine compartment, we will have to find the tool that removes the bolts on the seat to get to the battery.

Again, thanks.

• Admin

Early cars all had two batteries then they changed and put a BOSE woofer in back.

I doubt they disconnected anything - either they left something on in the car and/or ran the battery down.

Best to have the battery tested for load and specific gravity. If that is the original battery it is due any way.

Update:

After finally getting the battery out (those 12 point bolts are a pain)(a 6 point allen bit did the trick) and taking it to be tested, we were told the battery was in excellent shape. Nonetheless, Bill bought a new battery and we put everything back together. IT STILL DID NOT START. Well, it started once and then refused to start on subsequent attempts.

Finally tracked the culprit down to a finger tightened ground strap. It appears the strap was undone when the rear bumper was removed for repair and painting. Must have been because of the backup assist electronics that they disconnected the battery. BUT, they did not tighten the ground strap down causing the vehicle not to start.

So, after hours of frustration and money spent on a new battery (for naught), Bill's wife's Cayenne is back on the road until the next adventure.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

Similar issue here - I've got a 2004 Cayenne with the second battery in the spare tire well. I left my lights on and still couldn't start with the spare battery by using the actual key in the ignition instead of the Kessy per the owner's manual. The shop agreed the spare battery was dead after testing so they replaced it. Seemed good to go but after two days the car was very low on juice and wouldn't start. So I think, "well I guess the main battery was dead also, good thing I have a new spare battery". But guess what happens when I replace the Kessy dongle with the actual key and try to start off the brand new spare battery. That's right, nothing. Obviously the main battery is done and needs to be replaced, but any other theories on what happened? Is it possible that if the main battery is "dead enough" even a good spare battery won't start the engine? I can't think of what might have happened except that I had a bad spare battery, never knew it until the main battery died too, then the spare battery was repaced with a bad item.

• 1 year later...