Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My Car Stalls When It's Hot (Around 205 Deg. F)

Well, finally got a call from the shop today, & they gave up too! They told me they have exhausted all options. I went ahead & asked them to change out the cranshaft position sensor. We'll see...

Well, finally got a call from the shop today, & they gave up too! They told me they have exhausted all options. I went ahead & asked them to change out the cranshaft position sensor. We'll see...

well please let me know asap, and where and how exactly to get to it....i want to try to do it myself, thanks alot

Omarcoolguy:

what kind of Porsche do you have? Can you describe your car problem? Does it shut itself off instantly when it's hot? Can you restart right away?

Thx

a 99 996 tip, it just started happening this week, right when it gets warm...like 200 it shuts off... almost like it out of gas, then when its cooled down it wil start again like nothig is wrong, im not getting any codes what so ever, so it sounds like its something like a sensor, because it only happens when it warmed up.

Edited by omarcoolguy

...ok, it's exactly problem as mine then. Have you had any liquid spilled inside of the car recently?

So far I have replaced the fuel pump & fuel pump relay with no luck. The shop have swapped out the oil temp sensor to see, but nothing changes.

They're getting the CPS & swapping it out Friday hopefully. I hope that works. I'll let you know ASAP.

I hate doing this but I've exhausted all my options as well. Let me know what you have tried so far.

Btw they said it could be the actual DME...

Well I hope it's something like the sensor , no liquids or anything weird in my car lately , but a few people I've talked to mentioned the CPS as the problem when I told them what was going on , so please let me know soon and let me know where the sensor is , if you could it would be a big help thanks and good luck I hope that is your problem , because then it should be mine also

As for the location of the sensor, I don't really know where it is. A few posts back, one of the guys said it was on the right hand side, & you have to take the tire off. I wasn't sure if he was talking about a 996 or a boxster. You might have to search or post another question on the location. People on here have been very helpful. I have alldata but it doesn't really tell me where. If I find out, I'll let you know. Good luck!

BTW, the part should get in today. I don't know they'll have time to get it done. If not, it'll be on Monday...

Oh the shop replace it for me. I figured it would cost me more in time so I went ahead with the shop. They only charge me 1.5 hrs. Very good shop here in Tulsa ok. Rennsport is the name. I would definitely recommend this shop.

• Admin

...Finally my car is back home! I'm happy to report that it was the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR!!!

i ordered mine im waiting for it in the mail...im hopeing this is my problem ....did u find out where it is ?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/33526-my-car-stalls-when-its-hot-around-205-deg-f/page__view__findpost__p__181046

Hopefully someone had this same issue before. I have a '99 996 cabriolet. It has been running absolutely fine for the past 5 years. Never even had any problem. Did a 60k service 6 months ago (spark plugs, oil & transmission oil change, etc.) 2 weeks ago, I drove around for about 20 mins & parked. The car wouldn't start (cranks just fine but seems like not getting fuel) I waited for about 5 minutes & it starts again. Last week, while at a stop lights the car stalled. I notice the engine temp. is around 200F+. Now, if I let the car runs until temp. is over 200F, it would stall again

Anyone has any idea? Thank you in advance...

am having the exact same problem with 99 996 as I write this...........I notice no response from u for quite a while??

• 8 months later...

I have the exact symptoms, took the car to the mechanic they told me its an ECU problem i need a new ECU. so i thought i should try the crank position sensor, i replaced it yesterday and nothing changed. I still have the same problems. i have a 2003 carrera. any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact symptoms, took the car to the mechanic they told me its an ECU problem i need a new ECU. so i thought i should try the crank position sensor, i replaced it yesterday and nothing changed. I still have the same problems. i have a 2003 carrera. any ideas?

Why didn't you believe your tech when he advised you? I've had a good experience with Loren rebuilding a DME for aircooled Carrera. Swiapping it with a known good one is another idea. What codes did it throw?

Regards,

Bernard

p.s. not easy to solve, as more troubleshooting may also be needed. It can be solved.

Edited by BReyes

• 1 month later...

Hi, I still haven't found a solution for my car, when the car reaches 200F stalls and lose power and some times doesn't start and I see the rpm idles up and down even though the car is not running. But when it's cold it runs very smooth and fine. I replaced the crank position sensor problem still exists and just put a new DME "ECU" and still nothing have changed. Any idea's of what would be the problem?

here are video of how its not starting and rpm going crazy

Perhaps possible low battery / low voltage / under performing or bad alternator / corroded wiring?

My car was doing something similar - it wouldn't restart after stopping when it was hot. It wasn't stalling though. I suppose perhaps with an electrical system in bad enough shape perhaps you would see some strange things with the electrical components.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/31797-strange-low-voltage-problems

In addition - it's tough to hear from the video, but if there are any unusual mechanical sounding noises coming from the engine bay I would not try to restart it without being properly diagnosed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully someone had this same issue before. I have a '99 996 cabriolet. It has been running absolutely fine for the past 5 years. Never even had any problem. Did a 60k service 6 months ago (spark plugs, oil & transmission oil change, etc.) 2 weeks ago, I drove around for about 20 mins & parked. The car wouldn't start (cranks just fine but seems like not getting fuel) I waited for about 5 minutes & it starts again. Last week, while at a stop lights the car stalled. I notice the engine temp. is around 200F+. Now, if I let the car runs until temp. is over 200F, it would stall again

Anyone has any idea? Thank you in advance...

****I wanted to edit this so that the next person with the same problem doesn't have to read the whole thread to find out the solution. If you have the same issue, 99.9% sure it's the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR!! Good luck!

Got the sensor out of the block, how do you unclip/release the connector?