Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Engine Problem

Awesome.. Glad she's back..

If you don't mind.....How much was the final bill?

What's the warranty on your re-build?

thanks,

FYI -

I just had the IMS fail on my 2005 C2 (18,000 miles)

Thank God for CPO

-The dealer first attempted to re-build the engine and got it to run for about 2 days before the noises came back.

-Finally, new engine replaced so now it's back to new

Again...thank God for CPO warranty!

Seattle911,

I'm sorry to hear about your case. From what the Porsche tech told me, once the IMS actually fails totally, rebuild is not an option because the crank case gets damaged, often seriously.

We don't have a CPO exact equivalent here in the UK, the closest being a Porsche Approved warranty which kind of "extends" the 2 year manufacturers warranty we get here. I don't want this to become an engine failure post trail, there's plenty on the internet about that but I'd love to know how many Boxter, Cayman and 996/997 engines have been rebuilt or replaced - it is much more than we think but it is all speculation.

My engine had a broken chain and a seized scavenge pump and no internal debris (I inspected myself). The pistons were untouched and the IMS ok apart from a few very light burrs on the drive sprocket. The valves looked ok but you could not be sure.

In my case I had to go for the rebuild option because the payment was not coming from me. Total was $12k and that included stripping the old engine down and diagnosing, buying the chains, scavenge pump, exhaust valves and IMS and then rebuilding the engine and reinstalling it.

I get a 2 yr warranty "on the work the dealer has conducted", whatever that means to them. I know what it means to me.

New engine would have been marginally more expensive but was not an option for me. I also came to 'sort of' trust the tech who rebuilt the engine. He told me he had rebuilt hundreds for Porsche GB in the last 10 years and was very knowledgeable and gave me open invitation to visit him rebuilding which I took up.

Having seen my engine internals, I come to 2 conclusions:

Use your cars, they are built to be driven hard and change the oil at 5-7.5k intervals. Mine was due for a service (20k) and when I saw the oil, a tear came to my eye.

Best Rgds

Sam