Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Firmware Upgrade Of Dension 500 Gone Wrong....

Hi all,

Really hope some tech wiz can help here, topic title kind of says it all but in detail..

Vehicle is a 997 C2S 2006 with PCM 2.1 and v3 software with satnav and bose, no CDC.

I installed the GW 500 and initially all was ok, worked perfectly. I then did the firmawre upgrade with FW from the dension site. the .ROM file was deleted from the USB stick, but no .bin file to say new firmware upgraded. Now when i start the unit the PCM does not see a CD Changer and the ligt on the dension flashes a few times and goes out...not good.

Is there any way to recover from a failed firmware update or do i have a £300 paperweight?

Any advice most appreciated!

i think you can also re-flash an older firmware version if the newer version isn't working for you.

thanks for the replies, and yes have tried to re-flash but it seems because the original flash didnt complete properly, the system isnt taking any attempts to re-flash...

is there any other way to re-set it?

thanks in advance!

i think you can also re-flash an older firmware version if the newer version isn't working for you.

thanks for the replies, and yes have tried to re-flash but it seems because the original flash didnt complete properly, the system isnt taking any attempts to re-flash...

is there any other way to re-set it?

thanks in advance!

Not as far as I know. Who did you buy the unit from? If from Bumperplugs.com, then contact Eric as he is quite helpful. If not, perhaps go to the Dension website and try to contact their tech support directly. What are the symptoms of it not working- your PCM just doesn't see the GW500 at all, or it doesn't see the ipod?

Two other possibilities:

1) There is a selector button on the aux input device (the one with the blue LED and 2 RCA inputs) If is used to switch between the CDC and iPod. You said your car has no CDC, so if it is in the wrong position, your PCM will see nothing.

2) If your car doesn't have CDC then you may have to take it to the dealer to get your PCM coded for a CDC, which I believe the GW500 needs to work properly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Really hope some tech wiz can help here, topic title kind of says it all but in detail..

Vehicle is a 997 C2S 2006 with PCM 2.1 and v3 software with satnav and bose, no CDC.

I installed the GW 500 and initially all was ok, worked perfectly. I then did the firmawre upgrade with FW from the dension site. the .ROM file was deleted from the USB stick, but no .bin file to say new firmware upgraded. Now when i start the unit the PCM does not see a CD Changer and the ligt on the dension flashes a few times and goes out...not good.

Is there any way to recover from a failed firmware update or do i have a £300 paperweight?

Give the Dension UK service centre a call, they are located in High Wycombe, I had their details until yesterday when I did a clear out and binned them..typical. I wouldnt waste your time with the website support, it was useless for me but the guys in High Wycombe were first class, interested in the problem sorted me out. If you are local to them Im sure tyey will offer to fix things up for you, in my case everything was free of charge including a replacement unti even though mine was out of warranty.

If I find the details I'll pass them onto you

Good luck

Keith

your're in luck..found the details.

Phone 01494898957

I spoke to Simon, top bloke.

Good luck

Keith

All, many thanks for the adice,

Keith,

Will give them a call as I think it will require manufaturer intervention to recover - appreciate the help.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Did you try the RESET button on the Aux switch? Often this clears past histories and puts things back in order.

You can email us for firmware anytime too (not sure where you bought your unit, but there are some unscrupulous resellers out there who don't support their customers. We do.). We have earlier versions too, and have had a few situations where reverting to an earlier version, then reset, then move to a newer version, then reset, did the trick.

eric@bumperplugs.com

• 2 months later...

I know that this is an old post, but I recently updated my Dension firmware to the latest (2.22).

While updating, I can hear small popping sounds from the speakers and the unit appeared to reset itself.

Pressed the power button to turn it off then on then had an error saying that the Amp, etc... was not available. No sound from any source (CD, bluetooth, AM/FM).

Switched the bypass switch (by the blue light) on the Dension to off then back on.

Things appear to be working correctly now, though I have not tried the "new feature" of turning the iphone4's speakers on for alerts when the source is switched to FM.

Inspecting the USB drive reveals that the firmware update file has been erased and the *.bin file says version 2.22 - so I guess things are now alright.

Hope this helps someone down the road...

• 1 month later...

I know that this is an old post, but I recently updated my Dension firmware to the latest (2.22).

While updating, I can hear small popping sounds from the speakers and the unit appeared to reset itself.

Pressed the power button to turn it off then on then had an error saying that the Amp, etc... was not available. No sound from any source (CD, bluetooth, AM/FM).

Switched the bypass switch (by the blue light) on the Dension to off then back on.

Things appear to be working correctly now, though I have not tried the "new feature" of turning the iphone4's speakers on for alerts when the source is switched to FM.

Inspecting the USB drive reveals that the firmware update file has been erased and the *.bin file says version 2.22 - so I guess things are now alright.

Hope this helps someone down the road...

Thanks Black Stig! I had an issue with upgrading mine -- the light on the USB drive would flash for a bit, and then the update file would be gone off the drive, but the .bin file was not added meaning the upgrade had occured. After power cycling the unit via the bypass switch, the upgrade took. However, I still have the same "loading" hangs when browsing audio content on the head unit from my iPod/iPhone that I had before, until I power cycle the head. I really get the feeling the Dension 500 is a somewhat creative, cludgy "hack" more than a functional iPod connection device.

Edited by harperb

• 4 weeks later...