Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 Base Boxster Aos Replacement (Im Stuck Please Help)

So i have been looking all over for a DIY version that matches my situation. I have seen all the articles on replacing the aos on older models that have the 10mm bolts. My car doesn't have those bolts. It looks like it can all be done from up top. When i look through the tire well i cannot see any hoses connected to the aos let alone the aos itself.

I have removed the two 5mm hex screws from up top and the Y-hose and lower hose also. It's loose but I can't remove it. My guess is the accordian hose in the older models is also attached to this one but don't know how to get it off because i can't see it.

Please help me if you have any insight. thanks

So i have been looking all over for a DIY version that matches my situation. I have seen all the articles on replacing the aos on older models that have the 10mm bolts. My car doesn't have those bolts. It looks like it can all be done from up top. When i look through the tire well i cannot see any hoses connected to the aos let alone the aos itself.

I have removed the two 5mm hex screws from up top and the Y-hose and lower hose also. It's loose but I can't remove it. My guess is the accordian hose in the older models is also attached to this one but don't know how to get it off because i can't see it.

Please help me if you have any insight. thanks

K:

Although you don't specify it, I see from your profile that you are referring to a 2003 Boxster...so I'm going to assume that's what we are working on.

I don't recall having worked specifically on an '03 Boxster's AOS, but the parts diagram definitely shows those two bolts in the parts list, and the diagram shows one of the two bolts...all in the customary locations (click on the diagram or photo to enlarge):

(Note that the J-tube shown in the diagram is actually a "Y-tube", which is specified in the parts list). Part #5 is the J-tube, and part #3 is one of the 10mm bolts.

Here is a photo that shows you the angle of attack to take so that you can get a decent look at, and reach, the two bolts (click on the photo to blow it up).

They can be accessed and removed with a 10mm, 1/4 inch drive socket and ratchet, with a 3 or 4 inch 1/4" extension.

You can see what I'm referring to when I say that the heads of the bolt are partially obscured with the side of the AOS housing. The lower bolt has already been backed out, so that it's easier to see, but the upper bolt is still fastened and therefore partially hidden by that plastic side that protrudes.

You can also get a good idea of the angle of attack by judging from the arch in the forefront of the photo. You should remove the right rear wheel and support the car from the right rear jacking point, and jack it to a good height.

For reference, the two big bolt heads at the left side of the photo are where the transmission attaches to the rear of the engine.

The bellows (to the right of the two 10mm bolts, lower one protruding and partially backed out) has two white Zip Ties around the bottom spring clamp, temporarily installed so that when the bellows is pressed onto the vertical casting, they are cut to allow the spring clamp to be correctly installed. There is also a blue plastic tool from Porsche that eases the installation of the lower bellows clamp.

Take another look and report back. I'm reasonably certain you will be able to see this repair through. :thumbup:

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 1 month later...

kburgo- 2003/2004 has a slightly different style AOS that I've not seen a page on yet, either. Guess we're just on the cusp of late-model 986 work, huh?

I've found everything is accessed from the top on my 04S, including the bolts. They're not 10mm, either, they're tamper-resistant bolts whose name slips me at the moment, but I was able to remove them with an 8mm socket and a 12" extension. I'm taking a break right now from fighting with the bottom tube, but I at least got the clamp off. Just need to get the hose off, now... (yes, hose and not a bellows.) Since it doesn't match the bellows, I'm not sure if I can find a suitable replacement, and I'm thus hesitant to cut it off. When I get everything done, I'll post an article with photos.

Edited by grover