Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Computer On 00' Boxster S

Greetings,

I have a 00' Boxster S and have an On-Board Computer issue.

The manual the dealer gave me with the car clearly shows how the computer should operate, access menus etc. I am unable to get to the menus that it shows. All I am able to access are the top level operations i.e. outside temp, speed limit warning, mpg, mph and range. I also have issues with the inside lights not coming on when the doors are opened. Looking around the forums here I am wondering if the computer and lights are related issues via the car not completely out of "safe" or "ship" mode. Am I barking up the wrong tree? The service guy at the Beverly Hills Porsche dealer even stated out loud that he wasn't sure that the 00's came with the full function computer. I am so confused...

Thanks for any input!

Don

Edited by DonMo

• Admin

The OBC is in all 986 Boxsters. It was still an option (M659) to get the additional steering wheel stalk to control it..

It must be turned on in the instrument cluster and you will have to have the 4th steering wheel stalk to control which display you see.

If you normally see outside temperature in your display then your OBC is turned on.

If you do not have the 4th steering wheel stalk - then you will not be able to change the display.

The additional of the 4th stalk is documented here in the DIY section. Search for 'OBC Hack'.

I think you have the base cluster, which has been activated and has the four stalk installed. That is what I've done to my 03S so I have what you call the top level operations. If you have the nicer cluster you get the realy cool dot matrix display, the base just has the LCD's. You can see the ave speed, ave mpg, top speed warning, and miles to empty. The switch will scroll through these functions, and everything works well, but you don't get the reaaly cool display in the owners manual.

As far as the lights, take the time to read the owners manual about the inside lights. There is a switch by the rear view mirror that will shut it off, allow it to automaticaly come one, or be on all of the time.

Just do a little troubeleshooting the interior lights. Do they not work with either door? Both doors? have you checked fuses? Bulbs? Do a search on interior lights, and if that doesn't get you going start a thread with interior lights not working, SOMEONE here has seen a problem like it and will chime in.

Good Luck!

I think you have the base cluster, which has been activated and has the four stalk installed. That is what I've done to my 03S so I have what you call the top level operations. If you have the nicer cluster you get the realy cool dot matrix display, the base just has the LCD's. You can see the ave speed, ave mpg, top speed warning, and miles to empty. The switch will scroll through these functions, and everything works well, but you don't get the reaaly cool display in the owners manual.

As far as the lights, take the time to read the owners manual about the inside lights. There is a switch by the rear view mirror that will shut it off, allow it to automaticaly come one, or be on all of the time.

Just do a little troubeleshooting the interior lights. Do they not work with either door? Both doors? have you checked fuses? Bulbs? Do a search on interior lights, and if that doesn't get you going start a thread with interior lights not working, SOMEONE here has seen a problem like it and will chime in.

Good Luck!

Thanks Loren. All makes sense. My inside light is the three-way all-in-one light. Of course, the manual demos the other version with the switch. Weird. I might re-name my car Frakenstein. I've read all kinds of opinions of which most seem to think it's still in "ship" mode but I'm not so sure. It is the single most frustrating thing with the car as I have solved/replaced most everything else possible on the thing. Just finished the sound system and Litronics sensors and mounts. The interior lights work properly in every other way once the key is in....

Thanks again Loren. Appreciate all your input.

Don

Good Luck!

And N41EF...thanks to you too. Keep em' level.