Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Rebuild - Tiptronic

Did you look at Vertex. I believe they sell re-man Tips.

I have and I called them yesterday. Does anyone have any experience with them. The cost is $3300 for the transmission. Then I'll have uninstall and install locally.

Oklahoma Foreign lists a 99 tip with 50k miles on it for $3000.

Have you spoken to any local indy shops in your area for advise? They may be able to assist.

I have no personal experience with Vertex but know they have been selling Porsche stuff for a long time. I have a 99 tip and if I had an issue I would probably go that route.

Good luck with this issue.

Oklahoma Foreign lists a 99 tip with 50k miles on it for $3000.

Have you spoken to any local indy shops in your area for advise? They may be able to assist.

I have no personal experience with Vertex but know they have been selling Porsche stuff for a long time. I have a 99 tip and if I had an issue I would probably go that route.

Good luck with this issue.

Thanks for the advice. Could the mechanics be completely off and it not be the transmission? It is smooth while in park, but when moving that is when it acts up. I had one person say it could be a coil pack. Is this a possiblity?

Tough to say as automatic transmissions are not an area I'm knowledgeable on. Just as a thought check out the 996 Forum on Rennlist for a thread from 06/18/2010 titled Tip Assistance.

It details one owners issue that turned out to be something totally different.

I have a 1999 996 C2 Tiptronic. I have to replace the transmission and I can't afford the Porsche Dealer quote of $8,300. Any suggestion or do you know anyone in Virginia or North Carolina that is good?

Make sure you really need to change the transmission. Tips do not frequently fail, but can exhibit symptoms of failure. I am not saying the shop doesn't know what they are doing, but just may not have that much exposure to Tips. It would be extremely hard to become an expert on Porsche Tip issues with very limited exposure.

Are there any codes? CEL on? There are numerous things that can cause problems that do not require a new transmission. As an example, pressure regulator 4 can fail causing a CLC lockup not to work. This could be interpreted as slipping since the converter doesn't lockup as expected (about a $500 fix).

Another example, if the brake light switch is intermittent, the automatic downshift does not work properly.

Yet another, if a wheel speed sensor fails (P1710 right front or P1715, left front), then your tip shift buttons on the steering wheel will not work I chased this gremlin through wiring diagrams, fluid change, harness check, etc. Finally found it reading the OBD II section on Tip diagnostics, which is over 100 pages.

After nearly a decade of metro traffic, I have only had the wheel speed sensor issue and intermittent brake light switch issue.

You do have options for a rebuilt unit out there with the updated ZF parts.

http://www.freddiestransmissions.com/html/zf_5hp19.html

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...smissions.html

Please keep in mind, not all problems throw a light, but will produce a code.

Codes that do not trigger a light :

P0710

P0740 (note this code was thrown by faulty regulator 4)

P1602

P1656

P1704

P1710

P1715

P1744

P1761

P1762

P1764

P1765

P1770

P1828 (short to B+ only, short to ground throws a light)

• Thanks 1

I have a 1999 996 C2 Tiptronic. I have to replace the transmission and I can't afford the Porsche Dealer quote of $8,300. Any suggestion or do you know anyone in Virginia or North Carolina that is good?

Make sure you really need to change the transmission. Tips do not frequently fail, but can exhibit symptoms of failure. I am not saying the shop doesn't know what they are doing, but just may not have that much exposure to Tips. It would be extremely hard to become an expert on Porsche Tip issues with very limited exposure.

Are there any codes? CEL on? There are numerous things that can cause problems that do not require a new transmission. As an example, pressure regulator 4 can fail causing a CLC lockup not to work. This could be interpreted as slipping since the converter doesn't lockup as expected (about a $500 fix).

Another example, if the brake light switch is intermittent, the automatic downshift does not work properly.

Yet another, if a wheel speed sensor fails (P1710 right front or P1715, left front), then your tip shift buttons on the steering wheel will not work I chased this gremlin through wiring diagrams, fluid change, harness check, etc. Finally found it reading the OBD II section on Tip diagnostics, which is over 100 pages.

After nearly a decade of metro traffic, I have only had the wheel speed sensor issue and intermittent brake light switch issue.

You do have options for a rebuilt unit out there with the updated ZF parts.

http://www.freddiestransmissions.com/html/zf_5hp19.html

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...smissions.html

Please keep in mind, not all problems throw a light, but will produce a code.

Codes that do not trigger a light :

P0710

P0740 (note this code was thrown by faulty regulator 4)

P1602

P1656

P1704

P1710

P1715

P1744

P1761

P1762

P1764

P1765

P1770

P1828 (short to B+ only, short to ground throws a light)

It is surging between 1500 and 2000 rpms. It does it in all gears and is smooth above or below the rpms. It gets worse pulling a hill. If I am in park and rev the engine it is smooth. It's only while pulling. Here is what the Porsche mechanic said. He said the main line pressure for transmission fluid control loses pressure on and off which is a sign of a weak solenoid. He suggests to replace transmission ( I can't afford!) also, he says I can replace valve body or individual solenoids. Does this sound right?

1. He did a 89757 internal malfunction test with piwis tester - none registered.

2. fluid level - good.

3. tested MAF - good

4. tested for power and ground on TCM module - good

5. removed torque converter lock up wire and test drove- good

6. checked fuel pressure - good

7. no codes in vehicle

8. solenoid circuits are intact and complete

9. no codes on Tiptronic test.

Diagnoses: He said the main line pressure was checked with a piwis tester and it it showed the main line for transmission fluid control loses pressure on and off which is a sign of a weak solenoid. I would like to rule out an easier fix before I spend $5000 for a rebuilt transmission.

Hello

It doesn't take special abilities to replace a solenoid... on a scale of 1 to 10 ( 1 being the easy job ) I will rate this as a 2..

just because you have to dismantle the under body to acces the pan.

Be really carefull with the connector on the solenoid, they get brittle over time...

and you don't want to change the harness in the tranny...

BTW don't forget to purchase a new filter and a new gasket for the pan....

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

I have a transmission for your car for $3000 plus labor.

I also had a problem with my 2001 C4 tip, no codes .It would slip starting off on an incline and shifting problem from 1st to 2nd manual and 2nd to 3rd in auto mode. . Porsche dealer said i needed a new tip. Brought it to a CT indy Porsche repair shop. He suggested start with replacing the tip fluid and filter with Porsche trans fluid and have the correct level of fluid in it. Well, the fluid and filter was changed with the right level of fluid and it runs just fine now in all gears , no problems.

I guess I was lucky, but I would start with changing the fluid and filter with Porsche fluid and have the correct level of fluid. Try the cheapest solution first.

Thanks, Stanman

• 5 years later...

Hello It doesn't take special abilities to replace a solenoid... on a scale of 1 to 10 ( 1 being the easy job ) I will rate this as a 2.. just because you have to dismantle the under body to acces the pan. Be really carefull with the connector on the solenoid, they get brittle over time... and you don't want to change the harness in the tranny... BTW don't forget to purchase a new filter and a new gasket for the pan....

hi hope you can read my question. i changed the transmission oil i got 4 liters out and i put 4 liters in. but the owner told me they just replace the tranny oil couple of months so i did not change the transmission filter. and put the 4liters of oil. after this the engine lights on and P( parking ) and D4 start blinking. 

i can still drive but it drives me crazy and scared. pls tell me what to do before i take it to the shop and charge me arm and leg 

• Moderators

Hello It doesn't take special abilities to replace a solenoid... on a scale of 1 to 10 ( 1 being the easy job ) I will rate this as a 2.. just because you have to dismantle the under body to acces the pan. Be really carefull with the connector on the solenoid, they get brittle over time... and you don't want to change the harness in the tranny... BTW don't forget to purchase a new filter and a new gasket for the pan....

hi hope you can read my question. i changed the transmission oil i got 4 liters out and i put 4 liters in. but the owner told me they just replace the tranny oil couple of months so i did not change the transmission filter. and put the 4liters of oil. after this the engine lights on and P( parking ) and D4 start blinking. 

i can still drive but it drives me crazy and scared. pls tell me what to do before i take it to the shop and charge me arm and leg 

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

Get the car scanned with a Porsche specific scan tool, looking for transmission codes.