Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

High Miler

Hi all new here (forum and the car)

I found an '01 911tt with 140000km/87000sm.

post-58948-049023300 1277791063_thumb.jp

It's very clean cosmetically, actually surprisingly so. It's standard except for a TechArt exhaust 096.310.885.009. I got an inspection done and they found:

The dreaded RMS and-

Rear spoiler faults

Needs new rear shocks and tyres

Power steering tank leak

Front right stabilizer link, boots worn

Indicator stalk does not hold

Rear light cluster mounting brackets broken

The guy wants $27000 for it.

Apologies for the hand-holding but does this seem a good deal considering the mileage?

PS No silly jokes about the color, I like it (I know, no accounting for taste) ;)

I expected monkey crap brown or avocado green, your choice in color is fine.

I am curious about the RMS though, I know the non GT1 cars had an RMS issue, but its news to me on a turbo.

The new shocks and tires is completely up to you, probably upgrade eventually anyway.

Depending on the spoiler faults, the RAMs (hydraulic lifts) are known to fail, this can be very expensive and most either leave it full up or down and pull the fuse or get a fixed wing.

The boots are normal wear, half the rear lights I have seen have the area where it bolts to the car either cracked or broken and not sure about the stalk not holding.

If you were rally concerned about the RMS get another PPI, that seems suspicious to me but 27k seems like a fair price.

C. Anders

Hi all new here (forum and the car)

I found an '01 911tt with 140000km/87000sm.

post-58948-049023300 1277791063_thumb.jp

It's very clean cosmetically, actually surprisingly so. It's standard except for a TechArt exhaust 096.310.885.009. I got an inspection done and they found:

The dreaded RMS and-

Rear spoiler faults

Needs new rear shocks and tyres

Power steering tank leak

Front right stabilizer link, boots worn

Indicator stalk does not hold

Rear light cluster mounting brackets broken

The guy wants $27000 for it.

Apologies for the hand-holding but does this seem a good deal considering the mileage?

PS No silly jokes about the color, I like it (I know, no accounting for taste) ;)

Hi,

As you know been following you post on other forum.

Got to agree the color is actually very nice. You should have posted a picture with your first post on 6speed. Might have made a few envious.

I dont think form the photos of the oil leak problem area's that there is in fact a problem there. Yours will be the first RMS that I have read about!!

Did you manage to do some of the things we mentioned:

Check a sample of oil, is it milky.

Get the coolant checked for combustibles. It is possible to add a chemical to a sample that will tell you if exhaust gasses have been getting into the coolant.

Does it use water.

Smell in the expansion tank, does it smell of exhaust/fresh fuel.

Smell the " white Smoke" Does it have a sweet antifreeze smell.

If the engine is burning lots of oil it will produce smoke that has a bluish haze.

Unburnt oil from a turbo will be whitish/ dark haze but will smell like fresh engine oil, a bit like the smell of the oil in the container.

Its not going to be cheep to do all the other semi-minor problems. Suspension as mentioned... you'll prob change anyway, but its not cheep.

Might be a good idea to get a definitive list of defects, go down to your local Porsche dealer and price up everything required. If you can do the work yourself there's a good saving to be had.

Way up the total cost, allow some over budget as there will always be something you haven counted on.

Add that amount to the cost of the Car.If there is a big difference between that and used car form a dealer with a Warranty then your onto a winner. If not it might me an idea to do a little soul; searching and have a good think on the idea.

Frank

ROFL, thanks Buddy, "monkey crap brown"... Made my day! I have to ask how you know what this color looks like?! :lol:

RMS: Dunno about this, its what the tech told me when I asked him if it was the "Rear main seal" fault (my quote). Around here you have to take a lot of 'gospel truth' with a pinch of salt. I know the engines are completely different and thanks for the steer to have it checked again. The tt is a dry sump too.

The purchase gets closer.

So where do you think these leaks/sweats would be from?

post-58948-017508600 1277797437_thumb.jp

The hilight on the bottom shows a darker, black area of the oil sweat inboard of the lower suspension arm bolts.

Although its called a dry sump, its not empty of oil. When you do an oil change you will get a good amount from the sump as well. The majority of the oil is in a separate tank but there is still oil in the sump.

The staining on the coolant pipe, is it coolant covered in muck,dust. Antifreeze is sticky and muck will stick to it like the proverbial Blanket. Look on top of the pipe is there evidence of oil leaking above it. can you take a picture above the coolant pipe.

The x member I still maintain doesn't look that bad... Try and get some more pictures deeper in around the engine area. I wouldn't mention these things unless I think they are relevant.all the other defects are just thinks that any car might need in the course of its life. Just make sure in your mind about the 2 oil issues( note I dont say problems at this time)

Frank.

More competent people than me have already commented most of the points, but I think one's been missed: the mileage. The title of your message is "High Miler", right? But how could 140'000km be considered as high mileage???... That's just the beginning! :thumbup: :cheers:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...