Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front Control Arm

I have come to the conclusion that the obnoxious noise coming from the front of my Boxster (especially in hot weather) is the front right balljoint in the control arm. How straight forward is replacement? Do I need any special tools and what other components need to be removed in order to replace? I already have the part on order through Pelican; I'd just like a bit of guidance before I tackle this. Is it worth farming the labor out to my local shop or can I make cake out of this? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: This is a 2003 2.7 Boxster.

Edited by stargate823

I have come to the conclusion that the obnoxious noise coming from the front of my Boxster (especially in hot weather) is the front right balljoint in the control arm. How straight forward is replacement? Do I need any special tools and what other components need to be removed in order to replace? I already have the part on order through Pelican; I'd just like a bit of guidance before I tackle this. Is it worth farming the labor out to my local shop or can I make cake out of this? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: This is a 2003 2.7 Boxster.

Not sure what your ordered but I think the ball joints are integrated into the control arm and are not replaceable. Check out this DIY link from pelican parts for more info and pictures.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/59-SUSPEN-Suspen_Overhaul/59-SUSPEN-Suspen_Overhaul.htm

Not sure what your ordered but I think the ball joints are integrated into the control arm and are not replaceable. Check out this DIY link from pelican parts for more info and pictures.

http://www.pelicanpa...en_Overhaul.htm

I realize now that I am usin gthe wrong terminology. What I have actually ordered and intend to replace is the "wishbone".

Replacing the trailing arm is very straightforward and easy.

I can be done from underneath the car without removing the wheel.

You'll need simple tools such as sockets and wrenches.

In order to get the new part to align you may need to put a jack under the suspension to raise it until the bolt aligns.

It's very easy if you can get the car on a lift.

Most likely, if one is bad, the other side is as well or will be soon.

Happy Boxstering,

Pedro

To make sure we're talking about the same thing...

http://autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/996t-99-05/401-00.php

You're talking about #6 in the diagram? That part I believe requires a ball joint tool (at least that's what it says in my Bentley manual). There's a bolt that has to be pressed out of place.

Are you certain it's that part? I had a lot of noise from my front and rear over small bumps, especially when hot. I replaced the diagonal arm, part #3 on all 4 wheels and the noise went away. Part #3 replacement only requires ordinary wrenches, sockets, etc. and is a little cheaper.

Stargate 823, if its part 6 on the diagram thats your track control arm its the most likely candidate for any squeeks and creaks. You will need to remove the front wheel, you will also need a ball joint splitter. Its not too difficult, 1-2 hours depending on level of ability. I managed to do mine without removing the lower tray completely, just removed a couple of the fixings. The only thing you need to remember is to align a mark on the control arm with the chassis before tighttening the bolts which secure it, this entails raising the suspension with a trolley jack or lowering it onto a block, its so the car is at normal ride height before the bolts are tightened.

Hope this helps.