Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering Light / Front End Loose?

I have a 2003 996tt and for as long as I can remember the front end feels very loose / unstable. When you hit a cats eye it throws the front end all over.

At speeds it feels much worse. To the point now where it feels unsafe to drive.

Checked all bushes in the lower control arms and also replaced these with polybushes, also its had full 4wd tracking done.

Car has covered 84k

It is going on the ramp this week to have another check but its been checked a number of times without finding anything worn.

I was wondering if the mountings on the front diff might be worn which is causing movement?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Martin

I have a 2003 996tt and for as long as I can remember the front end feels very loose / unstable. When you hit a cats eye it throws the front end all over.

At speeds it feels much worse. To the point now where it feels unsafe to drive.

Checked all bushes in the lower control arms and also replaced these with polybushes, also its had full 4wd tracking done.

Car has covered 84k

It is going on the ramp this week to have another check but its been checked a number of times without finding anything worn.

I was wondering if the mountings on the front diff might be worn which is causing movement?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

If you have checked all the bushes and arms you must start looking at the shock absorbers. If you push down hard on the front corners does the car move down up then stop or does it tend to bounce a little. Don't forget you have strong springs so you wont be able to push it down much. If the car moves up and down more than once with one good shove down then I would suspect a shocker.

Take it to a good Indy who will do a test. Defective shocks can be very dangerous not only for bumps and corners but for braking as well. A worn shocker can cause the wheel to bounce up and down when applying the brakes.

Please post you findings for us all.

Frank

• 1 year later...

Martin, let me know what you find out. I just got the 03 996 TT (55k miles) running 19" wheels and do notice the steering is very light compared to other cars I've owned. Mechanic said everything seems fine, so I'm trying to figure out why. Can't imagine this is normal.

• 1 month later...

any update? I have 19's on my car, always felt like car is loose in front but have no frame of reference as I never have owned a AWD porsche. I just posted a question regarding shocks and questions on how to diagnose if shocks are done and if there is a mount or braket that would be worn and cause a knocking noise in rear over moderate bumps.