Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2007 Turbo

phillipj

I found a 2007 Turbo In Florida. It has 39k miles. It's in almost perfect condition except it has experienced a front end impact. Apparently it hit a guardrail. The front bumper and some trim under the car needed to be replaced. What concerns me is that the airbag was deployed.

The car was $72k then $69k and has been lowered to $67,500 . Should I stay away based on possible chasssis damage etc?

I have been talking to the dealer. I'm sure I could even get the price lower. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

post-7267-014308800 1279815137_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipj

Phillip,

The impact to trigger an airbag under U.S. regulations require deployment in crashes at least equivalent in deceleration to a 23 km/h (14 mph) barrier collision, or similarly, striking an object so the airbag deployment alone wouldn't bother me. Likewise, the fact the car had minor damage doesn't bother me however, it will bother most folks who want a Porsche so you could suffer on a resale if you sold it in the future. If you plan on keeping for a long time, probably not a big deal. At some point the normal depreciation curve will intersect the diminished value curve... What would matter the most to me would be any evidence of stress marks on the frame or ANY structural componets. The bolt on items and painted componets are consumable in my opinion FWIW...

Bottom line, sounds like you could get a great car at a great price! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.:D I'm still shopping. Really not ready to pull the trigger. I have only had my 997S for about 10 months. But I drove a 997 Turbo with PCCB brakes and was VERY impressed. Now I'm like a little kid who wants a new toy... Probably should have never done that test drive lol! That car is pretty amazing. The brakes are absolutely incredible. You would really have to be careful about other cars following behind you.. They would no way be able to stop as quickly as you can.

I wish I could have the Carrera and the Turbo. Such different animals. I'll let you know what happens.

:cheers:

Have you driven one yet? There is quite a bit of Turbo lag in first gear. My tech tells me that upgrading the chip takes care of that (as well as some added hp.). It really feels like it needs this upgrade when you drive it. It feels like it's choked back for emissions and can't really breath...

It's also so freakin quiet compared to a normally aspirated Porsche!. I will have to modify the exhaust when I get one.. You can't even hear the motor when your on it.. Second gear does mash you back in your seat which is quite cool:clapping: .

All the best and I'll continue my shopping and update you.

Cheers

That's what got me panting! A friend of mine has an 07 and your right, it sets you back in the seat! What's really cool is he had it custom color matched by the factory to a color his dad had in the early 80's. Porsche still had records of his dad's order! Amazing!! Plus he did the factory tour and took ownership in Germany. Color is kind of an aqua blue, not my personal choice but it is pretty. As for me, I will probably wait another year and let the price settle a little more. I figure as the new models hit the street the 07/08 will become pretty attractive. We are already seeing a 40% decline from sticker price. Let me know if you make the plunge :notworthy: I'll be the first in line to be green with envy...B)

Cheers, Tom

Still shopping... I have found quite a few cars that interest me. I really want a white one but there are not too many around. A lot of silver... I like Black too. as well as the meteor grey..

I will TRY to be patient and see what I can find. I'll keep you posted...

Just thinking about a turbo myself to replace my poor totaled C2S, but it would have to be an '05 or older to fit my budget. How are they like to drive compared to a normally aspirated C2S? I'd drive one myself, but the DMV won't let me behind the wheel for another 2-3 months.

Just thinking about a turbo myself to replace my poor totaled C2S, but it would have to be an '05 or older to fit my budget. How are they like to drive compared to a normally aspirated C2S? I'd drive one myself, but the DMV won't let me behind the wheel for another 2-3 months.

With all respect the difference if like day and night... plus the 996 turbo is an untamed beast while the C2S is just a purring cat next to it ;)

Hmm, untamed beast. . . I kinda like the sound of that. . .

I hate to be biased but somehow I am in Porsches; the C2S is a very different car than the 996 turbo, 997.1 turbo or 997.2 turbo

There is a big gap in engineering, tech and performance between the 997.2 and 997.1 How? Watch this videos:

and this

Of course the 997.1 turbo is far better in handling, stability and steering than the 996 turbo. As for the C2S, well... it's a nice car but no beast! Of did I mention that with the 997.1 turbo you can upgrade to 775 HP? ;)

Lovely videos, but I'm poor and simply cannot afford a 997.2! And I loved wringing out my C2S manually and doing a little tap-dance on the pedals as I heel-toe-double-clutched my way thru a road much like that in the video. By the way, I called my car The Little Green Monster for the wonderful noises it made going up thru a canyon. It's gonna be tough finding a replacement.

Lovely videos, but I'm poor and simply cannot afford a 997.2! And I loved wringing out my C2S manually and doing a little tap-dance on the pedals as I heel-toe-double-clutched my way thru a road much like that in the video. By the way, I called my car The Little Green Monster for the wonderful noises it made going up thru a canyon. It's gonna be tough finding a replacement.

Then welcome to my poor's club ;)

Now don't waste more time... go for the "Silver Moon" in your OP and then tune it to an AirWolf with 775 HP kit from TPC Racing for just pennies !!!

Good luck

Just to chime in on this.. I have driven both the 996 Turbo and 997 Turbo and have owned 996 and 997 Carreras. No doubt the Turbo is faster but it's just a totally different experience.. After dring another 997 Turbo the other day (tuned to about 550hp) I got back in my C2S and still loved it. I love the sound and the response from a normally aspirated engine (no lag and higher revs.)

I would really love to have both. I have a hard time saying that one is better than the other. They are two totally different cars. That being said I believe I may be buying this car. 2007 Turbo with PCCB's Carbon package, Sport Chrono. It is truly sweeet and those brakes are mind blowing.. Here's a pic.. Still working on a price. Somewhere is the $75k range..

post-7267-057257600 1280328916_thumb.jpg

post-7267-010032700 1280328954_thumb.jpg

Just to chime in on this.. I have driven both the 996 Turbo and 997 Turbo and have owned 996 and 997 Carreras. No doubt the Turbo is faster but it's just a totally different experience.. After dring another 997 Turbo the other day (tuned to about 550hp) I got back in my C2S and still loved it. I love the sound and the response from a normally aspirated engine (no lag and higher revs.)

I would really love to have both. I have a hard time saying that one is better than the other. They are two totally different cars. That being said I believe I may be buying this car. 2007 Turbo with PCCB's Carbon package, Sport Chrono. It is truly sweeet and those brakes are mind blowing.. Here's a pic.. Still working on a price. Somewhere is the $75k range..

May I ask why not go for the 997.2 turbo instead of the other two... you know the 997.2 turbo is far different than the rest. And for me nothing tops it except the GT2.

For me I don't need to have the fastest or newest Turbo. I will let someone else spend $150k for the 997-2 and have it be worth $75k in three years. I'm a portfolio manager and that is not a good trade no matter how you do the math...

I have driven both the 2007 and the 2010 and you can make the 997-1 perform close to the 997-2 with some relatively simple mods. Thats the beauty of a Turbo. Pretty easy to get 650 hp if you want it. But how fast do I need to go anyway?

Just my way of accquiring these cars. They (Porsche) already have a bigger, badder , faster one in the works anyway.. I'll never catch up lol!

Edited by phillipj