Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window Standardization - top up or down?

Battery was disconnected to repair a horn problem. Windows will now not roll fully up ( will only go up about 3/4) when top is closed but will roll up fully with top down.

Tried doing the window standardization procedure in Bentley book. With top down I rolled window up and held for a count of 30. Book seems to indicate this is done with the top closed but window will not roll fully up in that position. This procedure worked for me before.

Is there a time limit after battery disconnect and doing the sync? It's probably been a couple of days since battery was disconnected/

Am I missing something?

BTW - Is this mentioned anywhere in the factory supplied owners manual? I can only find a short mention in the Bentley book.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by UtahWJR

Battery was disconnected to repair a horn problem. Windows will now not roll fully up ( will only go up about 3/4) when top is closed but will roll up fully with top down.

Tried doing the window standardization procedure in Bentley book. With top down I rolled window up and held for a count of 30. Book seems to indicate this is done with the top closed but window will not roll fully up in that position. This procedure worked for me before.

Is there a time limit after battery disconnect and doing the sync? It's probably been a couple of days since battery was disconnected/

Am I missing something?

BTW - Is this mentioned anywhere in the factory supplied owners manual? I can only find a short mention in the Bentley book.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill:

Is it possible that the microswitch inside the latch assembly (the one [of two] that controls the 4" drop down when you pull down the latch) is malfunctioning or possibly sticking?

If so, the windows will not stay all the way up but will retract 4".

Try poking your finger or the eraser part of a pencil into the part of the latch assembly where the latch normally locates when closed while you try to close the windows all the way up and see if you get an intermittent result.

Regards, Maurice.

Grabbed the top and pulled it closed instead of just allowing the motor to close it and now thevwindows go all the way up. So the problem is the microswitch. Are theaseveasy / cheap to fix?

Bill

Grabbed the top and pulled it closed instead of just allowing the motor to close it and now thevwindows go all the way up. So the problem is the microswitch. Are theaseveasy / cheap to fix?

Bill

Bill:

Easy to access and replace, and relatively cheap part.

There are two microswitches in the latch receptacle assembly. There is one on the left side of the assembly (has a large plunger that juts out when the latch is open). That one controls the 4" window drop that occurs immediately when you pull down the latch to open the top and that is the one that is probably faulty in your case. Sometimes the plastic part of it just bent out of shape and it can be "revived" into the right shape with a heat gun. (There is another one on the right side of the assembly, and that is the one that allows power and activates the convertible top double relay.)

To gain access to the microswitch you have to remove the latch plate at the center of the windshield frame. Pop out the two little black plastic "eyes" by carefully prying them off with a very small flat blade screwdriver or borrow one of those "orange sticks" that women use on their fingernails to pry them out. Remove the small torx bolt that you will find under each one of the two eyes. Remove them and then pull down the latch plate carefully until you can see and access the wires for the switch and for the light. Unplug the wires and the latch plate will come off.

Regards, Maurice.