Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel Bearing Replacement

I am attempting to replace the front wheel bearings on my MY99 Boxster. I am about to go shopping for tools necessary to complete this task. I would like to know if anyone had first-hand knowledge and tips on tools/procedures that could help me out.

I have the workshop manual but I lack the experience.

Thanks All,

Bryan

P.S. Tool Pants - You might recognize me as Bryan from Boxa.net.

18mm metric socket (not common in a lot of sets)

32 mm metric socket (I think that is the right size for the axle nut)

torque wrench good to 348 ft-lbs (to retighten the axle nut)

Ball joint separator tool #9560 (used to be able to get it from Performance products for $100 but they do not seem to carry it anymore. You can get it here http://www.continentalimports.com/porsche_part.html for $150).

Propane torch to heat wheel carrier

Some way to remove the bearing (either a press or some kind of bearing extractor. Sir Tools www.sirtools.com makes one for $150).

10mm hex bit to remove the brake caliper.

Assorted other standard metric wrenches and sockets

It is theoritically possible to R&R the bearing without removing the wheel carrier in which case you would not need the Ball joint tool nor the 18mm socket.

See the drawing. For some reason the drawing does not show the dust shield that is also present.

Once the nut (6) is removed then you can pull out the tension bolt (5). The wheel hub (10) is a press fit in the bearing (2). It needs to be pressed or extracted out of the inner race of the bearing. There are 4 bolts not shown that hold the cover (9) in place. After removing the bolts and the cover you should see the bearing (2). You then use the extractor to pull the bearing out of the wheel carrier (1).

post-676-1101921159_thumb.jpg