Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster convertible top problems

When I raised the top on my '05S this afternoon, I heard a popping sound. The clamshell went up and down, but the top stayed up. It looks like I can still put the top down manually. I did the requisite searches and apparently there are some plastic control arms that are designed to break to prevent damage to the top motor(s). Is this something I can fix myself by installing replacement parts? Is there a tutorial with photos on this or another site? Any help would be appreciated. I saw on another site that a dealer had quoted someone $1,200 to do the work. That made my hair stand on end. Thanks!

I actually found some good info right under my nose, several threads down (duh!). But if anyone has anything else to add, like a link to a photo tutorial for installation, it would still be much appreciated. Thanks.

Update: I found the push rods and the broken plastic caps on my car. Ordered new caps on Ebay from a guy in the Netherlands at $46 a pair, including shipping. Not cheap, but less than the $100+ for the Porsche OEM caps and arms. Now, we'll just wait to see if they work. Thanks to all who contributed to this subject in the past.

Edited by longislander1

I actually found some good info right under my nose, several threads down (duh!). But if anyone has anything else to add, like a link to a photo tutorial for installation, it would still be much appreciated. Thanks.

Update: I found the push rods and the broken plastic caps on my car. Ordered new caps on Ebay from a guy in the Netherlands at $46 a pair, including shipping. Not cheap, but less than the $100+ for the Porsche OEM caps and arms. Now, we'll just wait to see if they work. Thanks to all who contributed to this subject in the past.

Those plastic ball cups from that guy definitely work.

Since you are on Long Island, you can just stop by my house in Freeport and I'll help you put those ball cups on. Should take us less than 20 minutes.

Be careful not to operate the top mechanism electrically as the now dangling front pushrods will dig into and rip or tear the foam drain trays...that will eventually result to water/rain intrusion into the cabin, where it will find its way to the central alarm control unit.

Do not remove the remnants of the old plastic ball cups from the threaded rod ends of the front pushrods until you mark their location (with white out or nail polish).

You should also determine what caused both plastic ball cups to break to be sure it doesn't recur.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 2 years later...

Long Islander,

The two white caps on my push rods broke yesterday. The Ebay page for the seller is closed. Do you have contact info I can use to order them directly? Thanks.

Monroe

Long Islander,

The two white caps on my push rods broke yesterday. The Ebay page for the seller is closed. Do you have contact info I can use to order them directly? Thanks.

Monroe

Monroe:

PM Sent.

Regards, Maurice.

What is the flap below the rear window that looks like it attaches somewhere in my 06 Boxster S. it has what looks like a long clip on it.

That flap is a vinyl curtain that is supposed to channel water that enters behind and in front of the clamshell into the convertible top drains that are located in the area under the V-levers.

The "long clip" is supposed to be fastened onto the two clips, one left and one right, that are mounted on the firewall at the rear of the convertible top well.

Regards, Maurice.

Make sure to regularly check the two drains I mentioned to make sure that they are not clogged. If water backs up, it ends up under the seats and there is an immobilizer under the driver's seat that will get fried.

Enjoy many trouble-free miles of permagrin in your new Boxster!

Regards, Maurice.

I had the same thing happen to me with my '06 last month. After doing a lttle searching, I found the original control rods with the plastic ends at Gaudin Porsche Parts (www.gaudinporscheparts.com) at a lower cost than just the plastic ball ends advertised on e-bay. There might be other dealers selling at this low price if you look. Installation was interesting to say the least, although I now know more about the operation of the top than I did before.

Good Luck, Steve

I believe you are looking at the wrong part. What you want is : (From the Gaudin website)

control rod to VIN 986U712007 Left

PARTS: Part included with lever assembly.

MSRP Core ? Online Price $43.82 $0.00 $33.36

The pushrod is something else. By the way, although these are listed as right hand and left hand, which is how I ordered mine, I could not tell any difference in the parts.

Regards, Steve