Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First, I'm a new member, apologies in advance for violating any etiquette I'm not aware of...

Is there some kind of off-the-shelf solution for getting an Ipod hard-wired into a PCM-equipped Cayenne? I have read very poor reviews of FM-modulation-based approaches for this, and want to see if anyone's come up w/ a docking station or earplug-jack based solution which plugs into PCM.

After reading about the problems people have had w/ the CDC-4 autochanger, and its outrageous cost, I figure it would be cheaper to figure out a way to use my Ipod instead.

Thanks in advance.

Funny, a friend was just telling me how awesome these guys are. Enfig for ipod - stereo interfaces. Was just about to start looking myself for a solution for my 996 when I saw your post.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Porsche stereos and what inputs are available but someone else might be able to jump in & help determine if this solution will work for you.

krista

2003 996 Coupe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the notes. I'm open to the idea of an FM modulator if the sound quality is up to the level of CDs. What's your experience been? I have heard people complain about low bandwidth, poor reception, antenna difficulties... etc.

Unfortunately there is no mod available yet that will take the iPod directly into the system.

The only real option for now is an FM Modulator similar to the ones they use to fit after market CD Changers.

I have one fitted to my S.

Fitting an FM Modulator

Mounting iPod

Hope these help

the quality is "near" CD quality. The hard wiring into the antenna circuit removes 99.0% of the FM transmitter woes.

Thanks for the notes.  I'm open to the idea of an FM modulator if the sound quality is up to the level of CDs.  What's your experience been?  I have heard people complain about low bandwidth, poor reception, antenna difficulties... etc.

Unfortunately there is no mod available yet that will take the iPod directly into the system.

The only real option for now is an FM Modulator similar to the ones they use to fit after market CD Changers.

I have one fitted to my S.

Fitting an FM Modulator

Mounting iPod

Hope these help

I tried few FM Modulators but non of them gave me reasonable sound quality, not just that, it sounds very bad. The one I am using now is Kenwood. I don't know is something wrong with mine or what. The sound just very poor no matter how I adjust it. I am about to remove it and try another brand. Anyone have good luck with other brand of FM modulator beside Kenwood?

What do you mean "adjust it", you cannot adjust an FM Modulator. Are you perhaps using an FM Transmitter ?

I tried few FM Modulators but non of them gave me reasonable sound quality, not just that, it sounds very bad.  The one I am using now is Kenwood.  I don't know is something wrong with mine or what.  The sound just very poor no matter how I adjust it.  I am about to remove it and try another brand.  Anyone have good luck with other brand of FM modulator beside Kenwood?

The Kenwood has a gain control. I tried to see to have the best combination with the gain control of the FM modulator & the volume of the ipod. If I set the gain control & volume of the ipod to low, I have to turn the volume of the radio high and a lot of noise. If I set it too high, there are some clipping at certain frequency (voice frequency).

Mine is a Panasonic, with no gain control. I would suspect that that may be the problem, there is always some noise, but if you amp it, it will only make it worse.

I would go with zero gain and adjust using only the iPod volume and headunit.

No one sells the Panasonic and there are only few name brands out there. I will remove the Kenwood FM Modulator because it doesn't even have the minimum reasonable sound quality. Unless the unit has problem or it won't work with the Cayenne. I ordered another FM modulator made by Audiovox & try it this weekend.

Edited by gchu

• 3 weeks later...

I removed the Kenwood FM modulator and replaced it with one made by Audiovox. Its sound quality is far better than the Kenwood. I don't think there is any problem of the Kenwood. I think the PCM of the Cayenne doesn't have much FM amplification for the radio. Due to that, noise increases when volume is up. One nice about the Audiovox is it comes with a detachable noise filter for audio in. I tried it with & without the filter and the filter really works. Other than that, the Audiovox has only two selectable frequency & no adjustable gain control.

If anyone wants to try a FM modulator in the Cayenne with PCM, don't spend any time on the Kenwood.