Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
kbrandsma

Front Motor Mount Replacement

Front Motor Mount Replacement

I have a 98 Boxster with 90K and was having some vibrations primarily in 1st gear. I had read that with a bad front motor mount the vibrations are very evident at 3,000 RPM. I did not experience that. With over 90K and no prior replacement, I assumed it was a safe bet that mine needed replacement. I ordered one from Jeff at Sunset, part number 987-375-023-04. The price was $109.48. The 04 was in stock and a newer version ending in 05 would have to be ordered. Both were the same price. I elected to go with the one they had in stock (04 version.) Replacement took about 2 hours from start to finish. I read Pedro's Garage DIY which was extremely helpful. There was very little in the Bentley Book (Section 10-16) or in the Boxster Service Manual other than torque requirements on re-installation. It seemed to me that the most time consuming part was putting the car on jack stands and taking off the undercarriage panels. I used my transmission jack to support the engine. Here is a photo of the car on stands and the motor being supported by my transmission jack. In my 98 PCAR there are 7 total bolts all of them are 15mm. You will need a 15mm deep socket, a15mm standard socket and a 15mm wrench. I snapped some photos of my old mount with my iPhone after removing it. Once you pull it out you will need to separate the pieces and re-use the bottom frame. The iPhone photos came in handy to ensure I re-installed the pieces correctly. There are a couple of side rubber guards that Pedro recommended purchasing just in case they needed replacing. Mine were ok. After removing the 4 bolts that attach the mount to the frame, I lowered the engine with my transmission jack 3 inches or so to gain better access to the three bolts that hold the mount to the engine. Of these three the top bolt is loosened but not removed. The newer version of the motor mount had a place for four bolts (for 987n models). My 1998 Boxster only had three. Here is a picture of the engine block with the old mount removed. You can see the top bolt still in place. Here is a photo of my old motor mount, definitely in need of replacement. </SPAN> The replacement was very straight forward. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being air in your tire and 10 being an engine rebuild, I give the project a 4. Not too difficult at all. What a difference! Good Luck!

Edited by kbrandsma

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Had a clunking noise coming from what seemed to be the right rear of the car. Initially thought it was the trailing arms. Switched them out (left to right and vice versa), but no relief.

On to motor mount and tranny mounts. Tranny mounts were in exceptional state, considering they must have had 135k on them.

This is what the motor mount looks like.

post-16716-0-55979600-1328107639_thumb.j

Glad it fixed the clunking problem.