Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Warranty extension void trough over-rev :(

Hello and first of all congrats to this amazing forum :)

I bought last year for my birthday an 2005 996 TT and directly took 1 year warranty from Porsche.

So after this year they propose me to extend the warranty what I directly agreed and Porsche took my car for a routine warranty extension check and they found an OBD code saying Over-Rev stage II, the manager told me, this happens if you change to the wrong gear so from 6th to 4th instead of 5th.

So Porsche didnt wanted to extend the warranty unless they would make a piston shaft leak test for 6 hours that had cost me 1000€, of course I did it (because without warranty I just dont drive this car) and the car passed the test.

My question in all that is:

Should I buy a portable OBD II reader / eraser (50$ on amazon) to check the error codes before next inspection and erase the error that could be costly to me and furthermore can the workshop see actually if I erased error message (in an History error log..)? (I think this would bring a direct warranty void)

thanks in advance for the answer

• Admin

:welcome:

Only Porsche testers (PIWIS) and Durametric software can read those values - not general OBD II tools.

These are not OBD II fault codes but engine stage errors can not be reset by normal means. These are meant by Porsche to stay with the engine for life.

What was the count on stage 2 over revs?

• Upvote 1

thanks for your, as usual, extraordinary experienced reply (wow that was a lot of honey)

but

**** :(

ok so it is NOT possible to clear/erase the fault at all?

holy moly!

at least with this system you are really safe what happened to the engine before you bought it...

to your question:

they didnt tell me that info but ill ask, anyway, they told the engine is in perfect shape and the test for the warranty extension passed (in a few month i ll have the big inspection $OUCH$), i have 60000km on it and i feel pretty secure.

do you recommend me to stick with this car or sell it?

i m using it only from 4k to 7kRPM (of course after the engine is warm up and i let it cool down before turning it off), i mean its a sports car so i drive like this, almost every month on the nordschleife but maintenance etc is beeing done.

thanks in advance

jean

post-59866-028673700 1286533935_thumb.jp

• Admin

Normally OBD II fault codes can easily be reset.

Stage 1 and 2 over revs are not OBD II faults - they are system (DME in this case) counters that are not reset by any normal means. Doing so could potentially hide damage to the engine from any future owner(s).

You might also ask them to tell you all the reasons they won't give you a warranty extension - I think it might make sense to get a second opinion from another dealer/OPC.

• Upvote 1

ok but these DME fault counters can be modified/reseted? and if yes than how?

I'll keep the can forever I think so no worry of further owner, my purpose was only that Porsche wasn't afraid of extending the warranty thats it.

Nevertheless they extended it, I think I didn't explain me right, the extension was according the positive result of the leak test.