Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Vibration at Higher speeds - Lower Control Arms

I've been having issues with a vibration coming through the steering wheel above 67mph. At first, we thought it was due to new tires, but the dealer installed 3 different sets of rims/rubber on my 2004 S and all sets had the vibration. He then took my rims/rubber and put on another Cayenne and it produced no vibration. Now he suspects the ball joins in the lower control arms? Anyone have their changed out? I only have 45k on odo. Seems low mileage for worn out ball joints? But I guess with the weight of the vehicle and the age, it's time? Dealer wants around $1,100 for the job, ouch!

Thoughts or similar experiences or advice please?

I've been having issues with a vibration coming through the steering wheel above 67mph. At first, we thought it was due to new tires, but the dealer installed 3 different sets of rims/rubber on my 2004 S and all sets had the vibration. He then took my rims/rubber and put on another Cayenne and it produced no vibration. Now he suspects the ball joins in the lower control arms? Anyone have their changed out? I only have 45k on odo. Seems low mileage for worn out ball joints? But I guess with the weight of the vehicle and the age, it's time? Dealer wants around $1,100 for the job, ouch!

Thoughts or similar experiences or advice please?

Ball joint??? hmmm not likely to cause a vibration IMO. Did you dealer find play with the ball joints? If there was something defective with your ball joints i think you would likely experience other issues like wandering on the road, noises when going over bumps etc...

If you (or your dealer) can confidently rule out wheel/tire assy as the culprit of the vibration, I would be looking at brake rotors and driveshafts next...

Also, you may want to consider "1 G'ing" your suspension

1 G'ing your suspension is basically loosening and re-torquing all your suspension joints/bushings with the vehicle at its normal ride height to ensure that no suspension bushings are pre-loaded at normal riding height. This is rather difficult to do at home as you really need an alignment rack to get underneath the vehicle. Many dealers when replacing suspension components never tighten bushings at 1 G position and that allows for more vibration to transfer from the suspension through the bushings which would be now preloaded and transfer vibration to the body/steering. Not to mention that the bushing life is compromised since it is always under load rather than in a neutral position when the vehicle is static.

The aforementioned technique does wonders on many japanese SUV's and is a common practice in the industry.

Hope this helps (somewhat)

Mikey

I agree with CTTinTO. Have the front and rear suspension inspected as I have seen lower control arm bushings cause vibrations and this can easily be spotted during a proper inspection. The driveshaft is also a area that causes vibrations but more so felt through the chassis then the steering wheel.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure I agree with the ball joint thing either. Is the servotronic more of an intermittent occurrence or all the time?

The dealer said the cardon shaft checked out OK, but I don't know how it could have been tested?

I agree with CTTinTO. Have the front and rear suspension inspected as I have seen lower control arm bushings cause vibrations and this can easily be spotted during a proper inspection. The driveshaft is also a area that causes vibrations but more so felt through the chassis then the steering wheel.

I'm having vibrations on my 05 S also. I get it around 70-74mph then from 80mph-on. I had the wheels balanced already. 72K miles on mine. How can I check for lower control arm failure or bad Driveshaft? On my 330xi, I just had the control arm bushing replaced and no more vibrations.

I'm having vibrations on my 05 S also. I get it around 70-74mph then from 80mph-on. I had the wheels balanced already. 72K miles on mine. How can I check for lower control arm failure or bad Driveshaft? On my 330xi, I just had the control arm bushing replaced and no more vibrations.

you would basically be looking for cracks in the bushings. I believe the rear compliance bushing on the front lower arms are hydraulic so another tell tale sign would be oil leaking from the bushing itself. Inspecting the prop shaft center bearing is more or less the same idea. A visual check of the center bearing bushing looking for cracks while pushing the prop shaft up/down & side to side.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party and you may have already addressed the solution, but I had a very similar expereience after replacing all four tires on my 2008 TT. Intense vibration between 50-70mph on the way home from the dealer after 4 new Pirelli Scorpions were installed (and yes roadforce balanced). Called the dealer the next day who said bring it in immediately, but there was a chance that the suspension components became "unsettled" from being on a lift the greater part of a day. On the way to the dealer the next morning (when there was no traffic), I became frustrated at the vibration and decided to see if I could make it worse for the dealer by taking it up to 90-100mph.

Funny thing is that the vibration completely dissappeared after 80-85mph and never came back. Of course I walk into the dealer 15 minutes later feeling like a toolbag for complaining, but the SA told me that the vibration is common until the car becomes "settled" again. Sounds a little strange to me, but ever since the suspension went through a raise/lower cycle, everything has been fine.

You may or may not have PDCC, but I'm assuming that you've got air bladders. All I can picture is that these bladders need to be properly re-seated in their cradles (or however they are secured) after being lifted in the air and perhaps seperated from their "seats". Does this sound correct to any service techs here?

In any event, make sure you thoroughly investigate this before dropping $1,000 on lower control arms. After all, no events occurred between the time you installed the tires and the time the vibration occurred, right?

Yeah, same situation. Bought 4 new Pirelli Scorpions (road force-twice) and still noticed vibrations. We tried all sorts of things, no luck. Since I'm not one to "jump" on new cars I can't bring myself to get a Cayenne, so I bought an extended warranty and just had the lower control arms replaced and some other stuff. Cardan shaft is next on the list. Haven't had the chance to drive it yet, so I'm not sure if it helped. Service rep said it felt better, but he's not sure the vibrations are totally gone.

I know I'm late to the party and you may have already addressed the solution, but I had a very similar expereience after replacing all four tires on my 2008 TT. Intense vibration between 50-70mph on the way home from the dealer after 4 new Pirelli Scorpions were installed (and yes roadforce balanced). Called the dealer the next day who said bring it in immediately, but there was a chance that the suspension components became "unsettled" from being on a lift the greater part of a day. On the way to the dealer the next morning (when there was no traffic), I became frustrated at the vibration and decided to see if I could make it worse for the dealer by taking it up to 90-100mph.

Funny thing is that the vibration completely dissappeared after 80-85mph and never came back. Of course I walk into the dealer 15 minutes later feeling like a toolbag for complaining, but the SA told me that the vibration is common until the car becomes "settled" again. Sounds a little strange to me, but ever since the suspension went through a raise/lower cycle, everything has been fine.

You may or may not have PDCC, but I'm assuming that you've got air bladders. All I can picture is that these bladders need to be properly re-seated in their cradles (or however they are secured) after being lifted in the air and perhaps seperated from their "seats". Does this sound correct to any service techs here?

In any event, make sure you thoroughly investigate this before dropping $1,000 on lower control arms. After all, no events occurred between the time you installed the tires and the time the vibration occurred, right?