Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

high pitch noise at cold-start

so for the last couple days I've noticed a shrill noise at cold start. Sounds almost like metal against metal and lasts about 30s or so. If I then turn off and start engine again, it doesnt happen. Any clue?

My drivebelt seem to be in good condition. All other bearings and idler pulley seem smooth without wobble. The alternator does have a click when I rotate it back and forth but then I dont know if that is abnormal.

I may suspect the coolant pump giving away but the momentary noise just on cold start surprises me. Any other possible suspects?

Sounds like a thing called a Bendix in your starter although 30 seconds is kinda long. The bendix is kinda intermittent to. But it does make a teeth gritting screech just as the car kicks over.

It's not real hurting anything if that is the problem.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

If you take the belt off you can check each pulley and also rotate the water pump by hand looking for wobble.

Although... I have seen water pumps where the bearing just fails and there is little or no wobble (until it disintegrates).

Yes thats how I determined all pulleys were fine. I'll start with the belt off on the next coldstart to see if the noise is related.

Serves me right for using a cheap *** water pump the last time :P ...failed in about 1.5 years.

...so it did turn out to be the waterpump.

made a huge noise yesterday (fortunately I was close to home). got the drive belt off and checked all bearings again and water pump was gone beyond doubt!

so its definitely going to be a porsche part this time