Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing a single tire

Hello.

I've had my 2007 997.1 only for about a month and already have found a nail on my right rear tire.

Luckily, I opted for tire insurance

from my dealer and they are ordering a replacement.

Although the tires were new, this is a daily driver (60 miles per day).

Should I worry about the car getting out of "balance" with a single new rear tire?

Thanks!

I just went through this a month ago on our '05 997. Two long screws (over 3" long), and my wife drove too long so the tire couldn't be patched. I think there is some spec on how much difference between a new and existing tire on the same axle before you want to think about replacing both. Porsche specs are very conservative, but the tire store said if they are within around 3/8" wear you are OK.

I found out the right rear tire gets way more nails than all the others combined. Also, I think the right rear wears faster than the left rear, so you might want to check whether it makes sense to put the replacement tire on the right side

Thanks for info!

Since it's only a month old, I suspect that I should be okay - but will have them check the tread wear once the new tire arrives.

I was told by the dealer NEVER to have the tires patched. I don't know if they were just trying to sell me the tire insurance, though...

They did patch my present tire - but later said that they'll replace it.

I have had many tires patched. They only place

where they cannot patch a tire is the sidewalls.

I have seen guys plug tires but I would only do this

until you get home so you can patch it.

The rears tend to get more nails then the fronts.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. That's helpful info.

At least I know not to baby the presently patched tire. Also glad to know that at least they are honoring what they (the dealers) promised, even if a patch would have been okay.

Along the same lines: If I get a flat and I'm in the middle of nowhere, is the tire repair kit any good? Or should I consider the tire ruined once I use one of those on it?

A plug in the field does work. Spraying that stuff in a can

only works for small nails. Removing the nail will make

the stuff in the can not work.

Most of the time, the tire will look low. Then you look for a nail.

Then you add some air and then go to a tire shop that

can work on our wheels. There are only a few shops that can remove

the tires. Do not take it to a gas station.

Paul