Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

If you plan to replace water pump, or thermostat or engine mount....

Do all three at the same time. I replaced the front engine mount about six months ago, and due to a chirp noise on cold starts ordered a new water pump and LN 160 degree thermostat. I took it to the base today, put it up on a lift and replaced the thermostat and water pump, changed the oil,and flushed the brakes.

I read through the Bently's, several thread here, the DIY on Pelican's website, and the oil temp info on LN's page. Pedro has a lot of good info with pictures too. It really isn't that bad of deal, but as Pedro points out lowering the engine would make it easier. All of you folks who post here and on those other site thank you for your help.

Yes, my water pump was going (71k miles) when I removed the belt and reaching up from below I could wiggle the water pump pulley. I removed the thermostat first after letting the coolant drain, then the water pump was pulled. The middle inboard (left) bolt is a pain! I used a deep 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket and a breaker bar, the rest I got off with a 10mm combo wrench.

Cutting the old metal gasket was a pain, I used a box cutter to cut it, but that gasket is SHARP, be carefull or you will bleed on your car.

I didn't have as much trouble bleeding the coolant this time, the LN thermostat has a bleed hole with a flapper in it, the stock thermoatat was solid. I think that little hole makes a huge difference.

Outside air temp was about 50 degrees, the engine coolant temp was between 190 and 196 going there, and 176 to 180 coming home. I think it will average out to about 15 or so degrees cooler with the LN thermostat. The gage show a smidg cooler, but not much, the durametric showed it running cooler.

IN summary, if you plan to replace any of these three things, do all of them at the same time, and if you Boxster sqeeks on cold start, it is the first sign of your waterpump going.

• 5 months later...

I regret not replacing my water pump, when I installed the LN low temp t-stat and replaced the coolant. Now after reading Jake Raby's warnings on aged pumps, I face the project again, just 1 1/2 years after the last coolant dump. My Box is now nine years old, with 19k miles on the clock. Luckily, the pump impeller hasn't given out (as far as I know), but will change it as a precaution. I think I'll inspect my mount while in there, but doubt it's a problem. I'm going to purchase a new container to dump the coolant in and re-use it, as I hate to waste something that is perfectly good.