Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door handle clip

I have a 1999 996 C4 and the passenger's door wouldn't open from the outside. So, I removed the door trim panel and it looks like there's a clip missing that attaches the locking mechanism to the outer door handle. I've seen this discussed on our forums here, but I cannot find the part I would need to fix this. I attached a photo of the inside of the door looking at the back of exterior door handle and the missing connection is on the right side.

Does anyone know what I need to connect this inner locking arm to the exterior door handle? Can I just use a cotter pin? Also, what would be the easiest way to fix this?

Many thanks in advance,

JC

post-49697-0-95949000-1290294649_thumb.j

I have a 1999 996 C4 and the passenger's door wouldn't open from the outside. So, I removed the door trim panel and it looks like there's a clip missing that attaches the locking mechanism to the outer door handle. I've seen this discussed on our forums here, but I cannot find the part I would need to fix this. I attached a photo of the inside of the door looking at the back of exterior door handle and the missing connection is on the right side.

Does anyone know what I need to connect this inner locking arm to the exterior door handle? Can I just use a cotter pin? Also, what would be the easiest way to fix this?

Many thanks in advance,

JC

JC:

You have two parts missing (which you might possibly find inside the bottom of the door if they fell in there).

Part numbers are as follows: 996 537 629 01, which Porsche calls a "bolt", but it's actually more like a pin, and

996 537 641 00 "Lock Washer", which is actually more like a locking clip.

Insert the "bolt" from the right side on your passenger door, and push the "lock washer" onto the end of the bolt after you have threaded the bolt through the "control shaft" (which is that little silver piece on the end of the black piece in your photo) and through the other edge (this time the left side) of that part of the door handle. You can see in your photo that there is a little rust residue where the original "lock washer" was seated against that part of the door handle.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to spray some graphite or other lubricant at those swivel points.

Regards, Maurice.

I found the bolt inside the door, but I cannot get my hand up far enough to put it in place. Should I unscrew the two nuts holding the handle on from the inside to try and put the bolt on from the exterior? Or is there another technique?

Thanks,

JC

I found the bolt inside the door, but I cannot get my hand up far enough to put it in place. Should I unscrew the two nuts holding the handle on from the inside to try and put the bolt on from the exterior? Or is there another technique?

Thanks,

JC

JC:

I'm reasonably sure that you can get it in there with a pair of long reach needle nose pliers, either the straight ones or the curved ones, like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-11-inch-20-offset-45-angle-long-reach-needle-plier-set-33202.html

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I did manage to fix my passenger door handle by replacing and installing the tiny (and I mean tiny!) circlip discussed here. However, no matter how I tried, I could not install the clip from the inside of the door. What I did was I unscrewed the two nuts holding the outside door handle assembly and then carefully pulled out the handle from the outside of the door just enough so I could get the little clip attached to its post. Then, I put the whole thing back together and the door now works like a charm! The circlip cost about $2 from the Porsche dealer, but I am sure I saved a bunch of money doing it myself since it took about an hour and a half to disassemble the door, make the fix and put it all back together again. My only regret is that I didn't purchase another extra clip to replace when this happens again!

Thanks for the guidance, Maurice. Now, if I could only get my remote key working again. But that's another topic that remains unsolved...

JC

I did manage to fix my passenger door handle by replacing and installing the tiny (and I mean tiny!) circlip discussed here. However, no matter how I tried, I could not install the clip from the inside of the door. What I did was I unscrewed the two nuts holding the outside door handle assembly and then carefully pulled out the handle from the outside of the door just enough so I could get the little clip attached to its post. Then, I put the whole thing back together and the door now works like a charm! The circlip cost about $2 from the Porsche dealer, but I am sure I saved a bunch of money doing it myself since it took about an hour and a half to disassemble the door, make the fix and put it all back together again. My only regret is that I didn't purchase another extra clip to replace when this happens again!

Thanks for the guidance, Maurice. Now, if I could only get my remote key working again. But that's another topic that remains unsolved...

JC

JC:

Excellent work! $2 for what would be a multi-hundred dollar hit at the dealer! That's my kind of fix! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

AFAIK, nobody has yet figured out how to break the remote function monopoly set up by Porsche. However, with the brain trust around here, here's hoping it's only a matter of time!

Regards, Maurice.