Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Top not working headlights switch in on the position

A while ago my button on my dashboard would not open/close my top. I rarely drive the car but the other day I decided to drive it at night. Before turning on my light switch I put the top down and the button worked fine no problems. It opened and closed. At first I was like maybe back when was just a weird electrical error which fixed itself. After driving for some while I returned home and went to close the top and discovered it would not go up at all. For some reason I decided to shut the car off and then re-start it thinking that it might trigger the button for the top to work. Before I shut it off I turned off the light switch then shut it off. After re-starting it I never turned on the light switch and the top worked with out a problem. So i narrowed it down to the light switch which I then turned back on and the top stopped working. With all said what would cause this? What would the light switch have to do with the top button. Can some one please help me?

A while ago my button on my dashboard would not open/close my top. I rarely drive the car but the other day I decided to drive it at night. Before turning on my light switch I put the top down and the button worked fine no problems. It opened and closed. At first I was like maybe back when was just a weird electrical error which fixed itself. After driving for some while I returned home and went to close the top and discovered it would not go up at all. For some reason I decided to shut the car off and then re-start it thinking that it might trigger the button for the top to work. Before I shut it off I turned off the light switch then shut it off. After re-starting it I never turned on the light switch and the top worked with out a problem. So i narrowed it down to the light switch which I then turned back on and the top stopped working. With all said what would cause this? What would the light switch have to do with the top button. Can some one please help me?

clb:

The light switch and the convertible top operation are not related in any way.

There are a number of possible causes for not getting any response at the switch, but the headlight switch is not one of them.

Is it possible that your emergency brake idiot light was not lit up when the convertible top button did not respond?

Were there any other manifestations when you pressed the button, such as the lights dimming, hearing any clicks of any of the relays, did the windows etc...

Also, whenever you get any unusual electrical gremlins, in various combinations, the electrical portion of the ignition switch is the first suspect because it fails so often but I haven't run across it ever affecting the convertible top operation.

Regards, Maurice.

Hey,

no i get no sounds but when this first happened most of the button that would light up when the headlights were on no longer light up. This is an on going problem. Also the lights on the door panels near the bottom corner nearest to the back of the car do not light up nor does the light on top where the convert latch is . These problems as well as the convertible top problem all came about at the same time. Are you suggesting to change the ignition switch? Also the brake light was lit when I tried to operate the top but did not work. I am at a loss.. and porsche independent shops will rape me cause they will be doing the samething just taking a stab at how to fix it. I might change the ignition switch but it seems pretty odd that would be the cause of it.

Hey,

no i get no sounds but when this first happened most of the button that would light up when the headlights were on no longer light up. This is an on going problem. Also the lights on the door panels near the bottom corner nearest to the back of the car do not light up nor does the light on top where the convert latch is . These problems as well as the convertible top problem all came about at the same time. Are you suggesting to change the ignition switch? Also the brake light was lit when I tried to operate the top but did not work. I am at a loss.. and porsche independent shops will rape me cause they will be doing the samething just taking a stab at how to fix it. I might change the ignition switch but it seems pretty odd that would be the cause of it.

The more precise your description of the problem and how it first appeared, the easier it will be to try to diagnose.

Mentioning the other lights that have been problematic may point to another possible cause... Check to make sure that there is no moisture or water at the immobilizer under the drivers seat. Pull up the carpet behind the driver's seat and check for moisture, as well as at the bottom section of carpet on the inside of the door panel.

I'm not suggesting that you change the ignition switch just yet...just another part to keep in mind if you get unexplained electrical gremlins.

Also do a search here for posts on the headlight switch for other posters' symptoms to see if they match any of yours.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

Yes, I have had water under driver's seat and last time i took out the immobilizer and cleaned it all the contacts inside with a brush. I have the car in the garage now so I am not sure what to think. I also did a search on couple forums and no luck... About the buttons on the dashboard is this. My rear defog does not light or work,and the top switch neither lights or work when headlight switch is in the on position. Any help would be great. PS i just checked there is water under the seat now from the car wash... now what? is there a special way to clean it?

Maurice,

Yes, I have had water under driver's seat and last time i took out the immobilizer and cleaned it all the contacts inside with a brush. I have the car in the garage now so I am not sure what to think. I also did a search on couple forums and no luck... About the buttons on the dashboard is this. My rear defog does not light or work,and the top switch neither lights or work when headlight switch is in the on position. Any help would be great. PS i just checked there is water under the seat now from the car wash... now what? is there a special way to clean it?

clb:

Cleaning all the contacts inside the immobilizer does not always "cure" the problem, especially if the water or moisture was in there for more than 1 or 2 days. Some have had luck cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, IIRC.)

Did you have any of the symptoms that you described before your immobilizer got wet for the first time? That could help you narrow down the problem.

As far as your current water under the seat, you should immediately remove the immobilizer and clean it and dry it again.

To prevent further occurrences of water getting into the cabin (where it will promptly find its way to the immobilizer because it's at the lowest part of the floorpan), you should investigate to find the source of the leak. Most likely, one or both of your convertible top well drains are clogged, or one or both of your foam drain trays are ripped or torn.

A less likely, but still possible, source of the leak is one or both of the drain holes located in the front trunk, at the rear of either side of the battery.

Take a look at this link for how to locate and clear the drains: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

I did as you said and went under my driver's seat and there is 0 water near or around the immoblizer. When it got wet the last time, I dried it out and the problems did not occur at all . It just happened one day out of the blue that the lights on the door panels, top center light and a few of the buttons on the console did not light or work. I have the durametric tool but its kinda of useless for anything except if it throws a code which in this instance there are no error codes at all. My question to you is this. I have checked all the fuses and they are all aright. How can I check and see if there is voltage going through the wires to the back of the buttons. For example the lighter works but the trim around it does not illuminate when I turn on the headlight switch... I mean what else could cause this.

To make it a bit clearer I will put it this way. The water got to the immobilizer 2 1/2 yrs ago. The lights/buttons, and top not working with the headlight turn to the on position occurred like 6-8 mths ago... After reading all the electrical problems which occur from the ignition going bad that is why I thought it would be cause from that. Also one minor thing that happened today that may or may not help you narrow down my problem. I turned the key to shut off the car . While pulling out the key out of the ignition I did not hear that locking sound which you get when the key is being taking out. Almost like an lock engaging which would not allow to you see move the steering wheel cause it would lock it in place once you moved it a certain turn. It seemed as like the cyclinder lock was tricked into thinking the key was still in the ignition. So i went to put my thumb on it and push it and then the lock engaged and i heard the clicking noise.. Not sure if this related to the other electrical problems I am having. Any info you think you can give me to narrow it down to what the problems are with my car would be greatful.

Maurice,

I did as you said and went under my driver's seat and there is 0 water near or around the immoblizer. When it got wet the last time, I dried it out and the problems did not occur at all . It just happened one day out of the blue that the lights on the door panels, top center light and a few of the buttons on the console did not light or work. I have the durametric tool but its kinda of useless for anything except if it throws a code which in this instance there are no error codes at all. My question to you is this. I have checked all the fuses and they are all aright. How can I check and see if there is voltage going through the wires to the back of the buttons. For example the lighter works but the trim around it does not illuminate when I turn on the headlight switch... I mean what else could cause this.

To make it a bit clearer I will put it this way. The water got to the immobilizer 2 1/2 yrs ago. The lights/buttons, and top not working with the headlight turn to the on position occurred like 6-8 mths ago... After reading all the electrical problems which occur from the ignition going bad that is why I thought it would be cause from that. Also one minor thing that happened today that may or may not help you narrow down my problem. I turned the key to shut off the car . While pulling out the key out of the ignition I did not hear that locking sound which you get when the key is being taking out. Almost like an lock engaging which would not allow to you see move the steering wheel cause it would lock it in place once you moved it a certain turn. It seemed as like the cyclinder lock was tricked into thinking the key was still in the ignition. So i went to put my thumb on it and push it and then the lock engaged and i heard the clicking noise.. Not sure if this related to the other electrical problems I am having. Any info you think you can give me to narrow it down to what the problems are with my car would be greatful.

clb:

Good that your immobilizer is dry now. You may want to open it up anyway and check for residual corrosion from the drenching it got a couple of years ago.

The symptom that you described where you pull the key out of the ignition and you don't hear that loud "thunk" sound is definitely an ignition switch on its way out.

I would start by replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch as it only costs about $10 and takes about 1/2 hour to change out.

Take a look at the DIY on Mike Focke's site for the details on the part number and instructions on how to change it. Hopefully you will not have to change the mechanical portion of the switch as that part is around $100 and a more complicated DIY.

Once you have replaced the switch, you will have eliminated that as the possible source of your electrical problems. If you get lucky, it will cure the various lights issues that you are having. If not, you will have to diagnose it further and maybe also then look into the light switch itself.

Regards, Maurice.