Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What else should I change when I change the engine?

Hello all....you'll recall that when we last visited, I had just blown the engine in my '02 Boxster S at a DE at Road Atlanta. Since then I have acquired a replacement 3.2L engine and have ordered the Improved IMS bearing from LN Engineering. I also got their Oil Pan expansion kit and their AccuSump oiling system. Obviously, I am hoping that these measures decrease any oiling or IMS problems at the track. I have also gotten a new AOS assembly from my local dealer and am ordering today a new expansion tank for the cooling system. I have two stock clutches and pressure plates (the replacement engine had one). I am considering an upgrade there as well.

My question to the group is what other items should I replace while I've got the engine out? Water hoses? Power steering pump? Hoses? Any recommendations on a Clutch/Flywheel setup for DE's? What about engine mounts? Am I overlooking any weak points that I should look at improving? RMS?

I want to make the car a great DE car while still being able to take it on the street. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure of the age of the engine, but I would look at water pump, serpentine belt, chain tensioners, spark plugs, RMS seal, and spark plug tubes. Haven't heard of any issues with water hoses or power steering pumps, but if they look bad, change them. You could go with Pedro's solid engine mounts, but you'll get a lot of vibration on the street. As for clutch flywheel, if you are doing any street driving at all, I would recommend stock. If it's mostly or all a track car, you can look at a lightweight flywheel and something like a Stage 3 clutch, but that will make the car unlivable on the street.

I have solid engine mounts in mine. The solid engine mounts transfer a lot of noise. Mine is gutted of all carpet and sound deadening material so I am sure that makes it much worse, but I would be hesitant to use solid motor mounts in a car that is also used on the street. If it is a dedicated track car, then do it.

I also have a lightweight flywheel. I went back with stock clutch - the other clutches really did not save much weigth wise, but the light weight flywheel is excellent. Big difference.