Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad Control Arm Bushings -> New arms or Rebuild arms?

2004 Boxster, daily driver, 18" with H&R kit. 90K mi. US, 5spd manual

My ride has gotten so harsh over bumps and bad roads. So i went under to check the control arm bushings. Sure enough it's gone crackin on me (see pictures attached).

Should I get new control arms ? or the rebuild ones from VERTEX auto? They are about same price $138.

THANKS!

:drive:

post-21283-0-19786700-1291101505_thumb.j

post-21283-0-81999300-1291101511_thumb.j

You have a couple of options.

I think Vertex stuff is just fine. Vertex puts in new bushings and ball joints.

Alternatively you can buy replacement bushings, press out the old and press in new. Pelican has them, but their prices tend to run a little high - I would look around if you want to go in this direction. Consider the price difference if it is worth it to you to do the work of pressing in new versus buying rebuilt or new.

Or, if you want, I'm pretty sure I have very lightly used control arm bushings from my 2004 986S. I pressed them out to put in solid bushings when I converted the car to a dedicated track car. The old ones have about 9K miles on them. I can let you have them at a big discount off of new.

Edited by ericinboca

Having to press bushing in and out is too much trouble, so I got the rebuilt ctrl arms ($139ea) AND track arms ($119ea) from VERTEX, i hope they are good as they claim.

Next cheapest parts are new ones from TRW sold by Pelican for ($188ea) but out of stock.

My garage told me that my shocks are fine, not leaky, but suggest that I get new ones since they already have 90k mi.

I checked shox.com they are ($850) for a set of Bilstein.

Can anyone tell me if i should get 'HEAVY DUTY' or 'SPORT' to go with my H&R springs?

This is a costly repair job.

THANKS!

• 1 month later...

2004 Boxster, daily driver, 18" with H&R kit. 90K mi. US, 5spd manual

My ride has gotten so harsh over bumps and bad roads. So i went under to check the control arm bushings. Sure enough it's gone crackin on me (see pictures attached).

Should I get new control arms ? or the rebuild ones from VERTEX auto? They are about same price $138.

THANKS!

Which bush is this exactly. How did you get to view it. I could not see them when jacked yp ?

Cheers