Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 996 Import to canada help...

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I'm looking to import a 2001 carrera C2 (Salvage title) to Vancouver, BC Canada. I was wondering if any of the board members have had any previous experience importing P-cars to Canada. I brought my last car up from the states and there didn't seem to be any issues (2004 BMW Z4). I made sure I had my compliance letters, and Daytime running lights and I passed our inspection up here with flying colors.

I have done some search on this topic but I can't find some specific information i'm looking for. So the tricky issue is that the car has a salvage title as it was purchased in salvage auction. The actual damage to the car was to the rear bumper only (no frame and engine damage). I have ordered a PPI as well a third party buyer's inspection. The car checks out very well and the price is too good to pass up on for me.

So items I want to know are what are the ramifications of importing a car with a salvage title, besides the effect of resale value (ie. would I require an additional inspection from Porsche ?)

What modifications are required prior to insuring the car on the Canadian side of the border.

Porsche North America compliance letter

Daytime Running Lights

Bi-lingual stickers ??

any gauge cluster modifications?

Thanks in advance...

Car specs are as follows:

2001 C2 Meridian Carrera

6 Speed + LSD Transmission

62K miles

Service Records intact (very rare for salvage auctioned cars)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just imported my 1999 996 last month, if you have any questions send me a PM and I'II answer what I can for you.

Here is a very good site to read through


It's a thread that’s been active for a number of years a lot of reading but most of the info is still good.

Also you should make sure to read through the RIV site at


I know when I was looking there was something about salvage titles

You also need to be aware of exporting the car from the US with their customs export division as well, but if you have imported before you should already be aware of what is need there, BTW they don't joke about the 72hr fax in advance thing either, or the fact that you need to prove that it was faxed!

As far as what the Porsche needs to pass the RIV inspection you have that correct.

Porsche North America compliance letter

Daytime Running Lights (there is a hack that you can do yourself that cost about $5.00 and 5 min of your time, let me know if you’re not aware)

Bi-lingual stickers (I purchased one from a Chrysler Dealer $12.00 and used double sided tape, then took it off after inspection)

Any gauge cluster modifications (knob that resets trip OD, turn it to the right and hold for 5 sec and the digital speedo will turn to KM, that’s all you need to pass RIV inspection)

Also becouse of the salvage title if you are driving it back, look into insurance and temp plates, not sure how that would work becouse it's deemed not road worthy?

And as we Canadian's are always happy to do, there is a 6% tax due at the boarder when you enter Canada on the full purchase price.

Like I said any question let me know if I can help I will, my experience was very easy with very little hassle, for the difference in cost well worth it, I figure I saved $7,000 to $8,000 when looking at comparables here in Ontario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The previous posters have given most of the details. In Alberta I didn't have to do the bi-lingual labels - I guess we are far enough from Quebec! My experience in early 2008 bringing my 99 Cab was fairly straight forward. Had the local Cdn Tire do the inspection

and paid the local Porsche dealer $37 to change the climate control from F to C. That was about it.

Good luck.

This from the RIV on salvage vehicles:

Salvage vehicles are vehicles that have been damaged beyond economical repair due to collision, natural disaster, accident, trespass or other occurrence as determined by a licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider.

All U.S. brand information on imported vehicles is acquired by RIV as part of the registration process. Vehicles in this category will have U.S. titles indicating the salvage status or brand. This information is verified by RIV through U.S. databases, and the salvage brand will be made available to all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions in Canada through the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE). A salvage status on a vehicle may severely limit your ability to get the vehicle licensed and insured in Canada. You should contact your jurisdictional licensing authority for more information.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can be licensed in Canada provided the original damage was not flood-related and the vehicle is admissible under Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. All licensing jurisdictions in Canada require a second rigorous structural integrity inspection for U.S. salvage vehicles to verify that the necessary repairs have been done to make the vehicle road safe.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can also be imported into Canada as parts-only vehicles through a Vehicle Imported for Parts Form Form 3 regardless of the source of the damage. However, once a vehicle has entered Canada on Form 3, it can never be licensed in Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.