Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Should I buy this Cayenne S?

Hi all,

First time poster here. I am a long time BMW guy considering my first Porsche. The vehicle I am considering is an '05 Cayenne S. Black/brown nicely option and mostly ding free. The "catch" (if there is one) is that it has 87k miles on it. asking price is for $21k.

The seller is my mechanic that just recently started working on my two 5 series BMW's. He has done several jobs and I have been happy with his work. Here is a list of items I think the vehicle needs.

Coil packs replaced - seller agrees

Rear tow point doors are missing though the tow hook looks like it has never been used.

When I select the Navi in the PCM (think that is why you guys call that double din center screen) a message appears saying "insert navi disc" or something like that.

Horn is buzzy and quiet. Appears to be a known issue based on looking at a few threads. No big deal?

The cabin fan seems a little buzzy when it runs. Known issue? Anyone know what it costs to fix it?

So what do you guys think? Pull the trigger or run away? Any other gotchas lurking out there for me?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2004 Cayenne S and I recently received a warranty extension notice from Porsche on the coil packs so maybe 2005 is also covered.

Ask your mechanic if the 3 plastic coolant pipes underneath the plenum have been replaced with the aluminum ones. Mine failed around 80k miles and that was a tough job to replace and expensive if you let a dealer do it. Downtown LA Porsche was quoting $2,500 for the job.

My right side horn stopped working and that was replaced for free under extended warranty. But it was am easy $100 job if you did it yourself.

Last thing is the cardan drive shaft. Mine broke and was repaired under warranty.

That's the experience I've had with my cayenne. The car runs wonderful and I have no plans to replace it.

Good luck

I have a 2004 Cayenne S and I recently received a warranty extension notice from Porsche on the coil packs so maybe 2005 is also covered.

Ask your mechanic if the 3 plastic coolant pipes underneath the plenum have been replaced with the aluminum ones. Mine failed around 80k miles and that was a tough job to replace and expensive if you let a dealer do it. Downtown LA Porsche was quoting $2,500 for the job.

My right side horn stopped working and that was replaced for free under extended warranty. But it was am easy $100 job if you did it yourself.

Last thing is the cardan drive shaft. Mine broke and was repaired under warranty.

That's the experience I've had with my cayenne. The car runs wonderful and I have no plans to replace it.

Good luck

Yes, the cooling pipes have been changed. Not sure about the cardan drive shaft. How much would that cost? But let's assume it has, you think it is a good deal? Edmunds says it is worth $24k, so thinking I will likely buy it.

I got my CS 2004 back in October and so far I am happy with it. Cayenne is a nice car. Mine had 62K when I got it.

The porsche dealers have a kind of 30 ~ 40 point inspection that cost $125 if you want to have a second opinion and someone other than your Mechanic check the car.

The Drive Shaft will cost around $700 part and $400 to $500 labor to replace depending on where you are, which state maybe.

I have also had the experience of noisy AC inside the cabin. I thought there is something wrong with the AC but the porsche dealer I go to checked the sound and told me that it is not abnormal, its the sound of Coolant Pump!

you would hear that when: you start the engine, the AC automatically turns on, no fan is ON yet, just the AC system goes live, you would see the temperature numbers show up on the display only, Fan levels (the bars) are zero ,no bars... there you hear a WIZZZZZZZZ like sound, seems like its coming from inside the engine, driver side... you turn the fan high or low the sound is constant. unless you lower the fan level until your turn the AC system off and it writes OFF on display to get rid of the sound.

I think known/experienced issues are mainly: Cooling Pipes, Drive Shaft, Plugs and Coils, Maybe Torque Converter seal (check if there is any leak underneath the car), Transfer Case Motor and some odd electrical issues that mostly happen when Battery is getting weak. Some people have experienced none of these yet some few of them !!

Overall, its a fantastic car and fun to drive, specially the moment you press your foot hard on the gas to hear the roarrrrr...

Good Luck.