Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

vibration in passenger seat

]My passenger seat has a wierd vibration when car is idling? My wife notices it at stops. Car is tuned, idleing fine, running fresh. Wondering if it is a mount on the Trans-engine or seat. When I increase idle at stop the vibration diminishes and then returns. Perhaps picky but dosent seem correct for this car.

996 TT 2001 23k miles.

Any suggestions? Thanks.[/font]

]My passenger seat has a wierd vibration when car is idling? My wife notices it at stops. Car is tuned, idleing fine, running fresh. Wondering if it is a mount on the Trans-engine or seat. When I increase idle at stop the vibration diminishes and then returns. Perhaps picky but dosent seem correct for this car.

996 TT 2001 23k miles.

Any suggestions? Thanks.[/font]

Steve:

The first logical step is to eliminate the possibility that any of the four bolts that hold the two seat rails to the frame are not loose. Those bolts have a male Torx head, but in a pinch you can use a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket to torque them down.

Here is a photo of the each of the bolts at the rear of each seat rail:

post-6627-0-30104900-1296272288_thumb.jp

Here is a photo of the bolt at the front of the inboard seat rail:

post-6627-0-91862000-1296272266_thumb.jp

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Mine shakes too - I posted a topic about this (don't recall which site / forum) but all responses said the shake is normal and that their's shook as well. I wrote it off at that point thinking I might be too critical but will be interesting to see if you find anything specific about the shaking. I can say for sure my seat bolts are tight so that's not the problem in my case. The seat back is what I see shaking - essentially back and forth from front to rear in terms of direction. Really noticeable when the seat is devoid of a passenger.

Agreed - I noticed this morning my idle was around 850 RPM's when it was shaking. Gently touched the gas to get it to 900 RPM's and the shake stopped and idle was smoother. Was thinking maybe going with a mod to see if that would correct it but not sure since I recall you had yours modded already. Haven't had a chance to look-up what the exact idle speed should be but could be this is why not everyone experiences it.

This was happening before I flashed my car. I have new plugs in car and I think it just needs to have Idle adjusted or maybe a true service. Car runs perfect to me, I have essentially done the 30k service in stages in last 1000 miles. Oil,plugs,brake bleed,diff fluid and some upgrades to hoses,dv's,computer, intake. I can live with it and actually I dont know if a 30k service for my car includes more or less than what I have done. Can you manually adjust the idle?