Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question on AOS install.Help!

Hello All,

I recently change my AOS about two weeks ago and the car was driving sweet. No smoke and the performance was on par. As of yesterday I saw some smoke and the car doesn't seem to drive as well..Slightly. Today I see a heavier smoke cloud on initial start up. When I did the install I had lots of difficulty getting the small O ring on the bottom of the AOS to slide into the block. I lubricated it with engine oil. I got it in a far as I could but I visually could see it protruding outward.Today I inspected the bottom O ring and it seems to have come out just a bit more. Is this the source of my problem or could it be something else? If so, can anyone give me any tips to securely get it in??? I tried extensively and couldn't get it anymore than I did cause of the lack of space. Is there a better lubrication I can use? Anyone have a pic of showing the O ring properly installed? Any tips would be super appreciated!

PS: I tried to take a pic, but my camera is acting up! :(

• Upvote 1

Hello All,

I recently change my AOS about two weeks ago and the car was driving sweet. No smoke and the performance was on par. As of yesterday I saw some smoke and the car doesn't seem to drive as well..Slightly. Today I see a heavier smoke cloud on initial start up. When I did the install I had lots of difficulty getting the small O ring on the bottom of the AOS to slide into the block. I lubricated it with engine oil. I got it in a far as I could but I visually could see it protruding outward.Today I inspected the bottom O ring and it seems to have come out just a bit more. Is this the source of my problem or could it be something else? If so, can anyone give me any tips to securely get it in??? I tried extensively and couldn't get it anymore than I did cause of the lack of space. Is there a better lubrication I can use? Anyone have a pic of showing the O ring properly installed? Any tips would be super appreciated!

the O-ring needs to be seated all the way, wether or not that is causing the current smoke, I daubt it. Use white lithium grease, always worked for me. You may still have residual oil left in the intake, You should have taken the intake apart and cleaned thoroughly when you installed the new AOS. Not to put a cloud over your project the original AOS is prone to failure, I had one installed under warranty at around 36k and it failed less then a year later so I installed a Motorsport AOS which has been on for a year without any issues, I know its a pain but I would take the aos back out lube the o-ring and make sure it's seated all the way then take your intake apart and clean it out.- good luck

Edited by harryrcb

Hello All,

+1 for Harry's recommendation that you remove and clean up the tubes and the throttle body.

As for lubricating that O-ring, Porsche sells a "special" lubricant in a tube called Syntheso-Glub or something, but any good rubber grease will do. If you are concerned about longevity, get a grease that does not attack rubber.

Are you sure it's the O-ring that you see protruding outward? There are two raised bosses on the engine case at the point where the two 10mm bolts are inserted into the block and that may be what you are seeing.

Here are two photos that show you the raised bosses, with and without the AOS installed. Be sure to check that the bellows (red arrow) is seated properly, as that is usually the area that gives everyone some headaches in the install.

post-6627-0-88901600-1297483968_thumb.jp

Looking down from the top of the engine, with the AOS removed. You can see the two bosses (just under the two hoses) and the larger tube/hole onto which the bellows gets installed.

post-6627-0-21988700-1297483950_thumb.jp

Looking from underneath the right rear wheel well, you can see that the face of the AOS housing is not completely flush with the engine block because of the two raised bosses. Good view of the bellows and how it should be seated squarely and flush down onto its tube. (Note that the lower of the two 10mm bolts has not been tightened yet in this photo).

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Hey guys..Thanks for the response!

Well initially I did clean the intake, throttle body and the MAF...As far as the special grease, I asked one of the guys at Sunset Porsche about it and he said I didn't need it , just use engine oil. I guess I'll clean out the throttle body, intake and reinstall the AOS with new grease. I attached a pic showing the O ring..It seem to come out a bit. This O ring should be totally pushed in, correct?? Again, thanks guys..

Sorry, here's the pic..

Note that there is a difference in the width/design of the seal in question depending on the version of the AOS.

These photos can help to clarify the difference (click on the first one to blow it up):

post-6627-0-96905500-1297930673_thumb.jp

Old Version

post-6627-0-36774700-1297930695_thumb.jp

Newer Version

post-6627-0-74469500-1297930706_thumb.jp

Newer Version Closeup

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

I think from your photo you have the latest version of AOS. The smoke is not coming from that o-ring seal. If its not sealing correctly you will see oil leaking in that area. No leaking oil than the seal is ok..

Some cars tend to smoke on start up even with good operating AOS systems. But cleaning your intake tubes and TB is a good idea as residual oil can be trapped...