Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suggestions for further self diagnosis of oil pressure/misfire?

saved4it

Short version: Driving when I got a CEL. Car didn't seem to have a problem that affected driveability. Looked at the dash and the oil pressure gauge was bouncing around. Oil levels fine. Felt a few misfires next day. Limped home. Oil pressure was all over the place, from 3 bar going uphill (2-3k rpm) to normal 4.8 bar (2-3k rpm) downhill. Overall I'd say the oil pressure looks like it's running lower than normal. Once in a while the CEL flashes.

Durametric reports:

P0300: fault code 507 - Misfire detection (total)

P0301: fault code 508 - Misfire cylinder 1

P0302: fault code 509 - Misfire cylinder 2

P0303: fault code 510 - Misfire cylinder 3

So one bank affected.

Anything I can try to help diagnose? JPflip suggested the TP solenoid brackets on the affected bank. And I gather I can try the variocam adjustments test on the durametric (although I'd need reference to a thread that tells me what to do and what to look for).

Thanks for any help. Otherwise it's into the shop for me! $$

Those were the extent of the codes on the motronic section of the Durametric. Can I try to make it happen with the tool somehow?

check your 02 sensor.

It is NOT the O2 sensor.

All those fault codes point to misfires on bank 1.

Either there are bad coil packs or the cam position actuator bracket is broken or the cam position sensor actuator is bad.

Any cam position faults?

Interesting that you have oil pressure problems combined with misfire codes. I would inspect the timing chain adjusters for that bank of cylinders. Is the check engine light flashing? I wouldn't risk running the engine until I was sure there isn't a mechanical fault.

This weekend I had the chance to use my Durametric to test the variocam solenoids. At idle, engaging either side caused a brief engine shudder and a slight dip in RPMs before returning to idle. I think this means those systems are okay (or intermittently bad, if at all).

A real-time data log of misfire counts did not reveal any problems at idle. (0 total)

Can anyone recommend a battery of values to data log on a test drive so I can narrow any problems down some? I do not know what many of those values are, but perhaps some would be useful.

BUMP

As I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about checking variocam solenoids. I have a Durametric, but what should you see with Durametric for faulty variocam solenoids as opposed to good ones.

Frank

Hello Frank! If you use "drive link" you can select any of these solenoids (4 total) and in idle you should see the engine rumbling when one of the solenoid is selected. If there is no change in RPM either while selecting the valve opening solenoids or the cam advance solenoids, then you know one of the solenoid is not working.... This is the Durametric version 5 but I also saw it in version 6...

post-29683-0-07066900-1298640294_thumb.j

Edited by jpflip

BUMP

As I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about checking variocam solenoids. I have a Durametric, but what should you see with Durametric for faulty variocam solenoids as opposed to good ones.

Frank

Hello Frank! If you use "drive link" you can select any of these solenoids (4 total) and in idle you should see the engine rumbling when one of the solenoid is selected. If there is no change in RPM either while selecting the valve opening solenoids or the cam advance solenoids, then you know one of the solenoid is not working.... This is the Durametric version 5 but I also saw it in version 6...

Hi JP

So its just a case of select the desired valve and if its working the engine should change rpm's/rumble. I was going to have a play last week but decided not to experiment with any of the drive links I'm not sure about.

Thats great, thanks mate.

Frank

BUMP

Frank

Hi JP

So its just a case of select the desired valve and if its working the engine should change rpm's/rumble. I was going to have a play last week but decided not to experiment with any of the drive links I'm not sure about.

Thats great, thanks mate.

Frank

You got it Frank! Of course I would not try it at high RPM but at idle you definitively see a difference once selected and start button depress....