Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Were red brakes an available option on the C4s?

I bought a used 2007 C4 in 2009. I have always assumed the car to be bone stock. It has red brakes that say Porsche in white on the outside. At a recent autocross someone told me that my brakes had been upgraded with brakes from an S because red brakes were not available on the C4's. This put me in a panic because I am getting ready to sign up for my first national autocross at Parade, and if these brakes were not available as an option on the C4, then I will have to run in the Improved class (which allows any brake mods) alongside highly modified cars with track tires, open exhausts, upgraded suspensions, modified engines, etc. I'll get slayed.

I once saw a printout of the original options on this car. I would have been excited to find that I had a factory brake upgrade, and I don't think I would have forgotten it because the car only has a few options on it, and so my guess is that it was not an option on this particular car.

Were the larger red S brakes available as an option for the C4? If yes, then I am OK to run in a stock class at Parade. If they are later upgrades, is it likely that the larger rotors had to be added too? Likewise, is the increased capacity master cylinder found on the S models necessary to use the S brakes? Is there some way to tell if the brakes and brake system are from an S as opposed to just being painted or powder coated? Thanks in advance.

Mike M

I'm 99% sure that 'S' brakes were available as an option on an non 'S' car.

Possibly the 'S' brakes have larger rotors and calipers when compared to the non 'S' brakes. I'm sure you can find out the rotor diameters for both versions and measure yours. They just might have larger or more pistons in the caliper while the rotor is the same size. Just look at the various part numbers for clarity.

Like you said maybe the previously owner simply painted the calipers red. The Porsche lettering decals can be acquired on eBay or other places.

I'm also pretty sure in AX technical inspections the red brake calipers will not send up a flag.

Good luck . .

I bought a used 2007 C4 in 2009. I have always assumed the car to be bone stock. It has red brakes that say Porsche in white on the outside. At a recent autocross someone told me that my brakes had been upgraded with brakes from an S because red brakes were not available on the C4's. This put me in a panic because I am getting ready to sign up for my first national autocross at Parade, and if these brakes were not available as an option on the C4, then I will have to run in the Improved class (which allows any brake mods) alongside highly modified cars with track tires, open exhausts, upgraded suspensions, modified engines, etc. I'll get slayed.

I once saw a printout of the original options on this car. I would have been excited to find that I had a factory brake upgrade, and I don't think I would have forgotten it because the car only has a few options on it, and so my guess is that it was not an option on this particular car.

Were the larger red S brakes available as an option for the C4? If yes, then I am OK to run in a stock class at Parade. If they are later upgrades, is it likely that the larger rotors had to be added too? Likewise, is the increased capacity master cylinder found on the S models necessary to use the S brakes? Is there some way to tell if the brakes and brake system are from an S as opposed to just being painted or powder coated? Thanks in advance.

Mike M

The brake pads are bigger on the S. When I order bakes,

I need to tell them that it is for an S car.

I have plenty of pads so I just measured them

and here are the numbers. The Front ones should measure

5 1/2" and the rears are 4 3/4" inches.

Good luck. The hardest part of doing the brakes is

removing the wheel.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I will measure my pads and compare to your measurements. I have some new pads that I have not yet put on the car. Now that I think about it, I have ordered and replaced pads a couple of times as well as pad sensors and the anti-squeal plates, and I never specified an S. I also found an option list on-line this morning, and I see that painted red calipers was an option, and so I'm thinking that I have the stock non-S brakes with the red painted option. Tonight I will go home and get the option codes off of my trunk lid and look them up to see if one of them is the red paint option. Thanks again.

Mike M

Mike M

It was possible to order the calipers painted red as an option under the exclusive program. You may still therefore have stock (C4) sized discs and pads on your car.