Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ultra newb here looking at an 05 CTT with 99k mi....should I run?

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. I need a newer SUV for me or the wife. I bought a coupe and she commandeered it!

My local dealer has an IMMACULATE 05 CTT. Loaded, Porsche factory 20s (HRE syle, very pretty). I want it. Bad. Drives great but is a tad rattle-y inside it seems near the rear fold down seats and center console. More so than my X5 rattles. I sold my S550 to get a tiny, park-able, fast little 335i coupe and like that car a lot. However, X5 needs to go.

The CTT has 99k on it and that sort of scares me. I am not a commuter and do not drive more than about 5k mi yearly...all cars need fixing and it's never cheap but how tough are the CTTs? Did 05 have particular snafus?

CTT interior and exterior are in 9.9/10 shape. I do see it has a transmission leak and read about the torque converter seal fix. Tranny shifted fine when I drove it. Engine has a slight, slight, tremble in the idle (coils perhaps).....my personal mech has not inspected it, but he and my Porsche buddies say do not fear this car, and that they are superb autos and are pretty bulletproof.

I have owned tons of cars have always done lots of the work myself, now only when I can due to time constraints of owning a company. I don't want to buy a turd and end up ceaselessly throwing money at it like my previous Benzes.

What big things do I need to read up on about the 05 CTT? I'll be using search in the meantime and thanks in advance for any and all advice!

-Alex

Edited by ALEV8

I don't have experience with Cayenne's but I do with 911's. I would say that you should continue to look for a lower mileage CTT. Newer the better. I believe the 05's do have issues with plastic cooling pipes failing and Cardon shafts.(I could be wrong about accusing the TT's with this.)

Porsche's are great cars but just like the "Benz money pit" you could be walking into another one. My advice would be to pay up for a newer lower mileage CTT. Even better try to find a Porsche CPO warranty car from a Porsche dealer.

I know you have fallen in love with the car but you already are being warned with rattles etc. !00k is a lot of miles.

There are a lot of cars out there. Unless you have to have a Turbo don't overlook the GTS and the S. Both great cars especially the GTS..

Good luck and that's my 2 cents...

Phillipj

My car intuition is telling me the same.......just saw some 06s and they were way more solid than this CTT. Doors and interior all felt solid and had that nice "thud" to them. This higher mileage car is really in exceptional shape, a pity.............going to keep looking and backburner this one.

2 things here..

(1) I would be concerned about the trany oil leak... if its the torque converter seal, I would make sure the dealer agrees to fix the leak as part of the deal as this repair could be very costly labour wise. I would also take it out on the highway and do a couple of aggressive WOT's to get it to downshift from 6th to 3rd to ensure the shifting is smooth. Most of the valve body issues are usually at highway shifting speeds and wont be detected in low speed city driving.

(2) I wouldn't be too afraid of the vehicle has been dealer serviced and has service records to prove all the maintenance. The design of these vehicles is very robust (in comparison to Japanese SUV's) and other than the known issues like the coolant pipes (easy fix) and coils (easy fix) and cardan shaft (easy fix) I don't believe these trucks are problem prone.

That being said, it is used so it is a gamble. I would put $3k-5K aside for any unexpected repairs. Other than that, if you like the truck and its in good shape, I would say GO FOR IT!

$1300 for the TCS retail here in Dallas from my independent, $500 for my dealer to fix it. Not sure about service records though.....dealer is independent and says he cannot access Porsche svc records. I do think this car is almost 100% outside and in, appearance wise. Seriously. I want to have an independent Porsche wizard give me an opinion...the feel of the doors bug me though. Car seems to shift well.

All that said, I would not do the deal unless seller fixes everything. or discounts accordingly.

Evo what were your symptoms and what is your mileage?

Edited by ALEV8

Jeeeeeeee-zus! OMG. And you'd never know until you tear it all down, although you need to drop the driveline, tranny and tcase anyway........no way to predict this kind of thing until it's too late. I would have your attorney write a letter to Porsche and they should work with you, especially as there is not an alternative.

I would think someone would listen given the economic climate we face. No one can afford to lose customers these days.

I guess I'll keep looking for a non-leaker.

I would also worry about the leak a little bit. That's not normal. I wouldn't worry about the year or the mileage, as long as it comes with full service history and you get a solid PPI. Other than that, I'd be worried. Also, FWIW - all Cayennes have plastic coolant lines, including the new 2011 models. By the time a Cayenne has 100K miles on the clock, it's very possible that they have been changed to the aluminum lines. If you have a full service history, you'll know.

No way to get the service records unfortunately.....And seller swears he can machine the pump gear at a local shop, to which I call bull****. Seller has more money in investigating the leak than margin on the vehicle im assuming. PPI will be absolutely necessary, if I am crazy enough to go forward.

That said Im getting a bit obsessed with the CTT...

Edited by ALEV8

I'm also a Porsche newbie - purchased an 04' CS with 60K miles 4 months ago. It took about the same time to find a one-owner vehicle with a REAL service history. FWIW, I spent $24K on my truck - original sticker was >$70K with all the options - but I was able to confirm the truck's cardon shaft, water pump, transfer case, and coils had all been updated/replaced prior to my purchase. Be patient...they are great trucks and you'll find the right one eventually. You won't find perfect - eventually I will need to do the coolant pipe update on mine - but you'll get pretty darn close.

"Be patient...they are great trucks and you'll find the right one eventually. You won't find perfect - eventually I will need to do the coolant pipe update on mine - but you'll get pretty darn close. "

+1 on that advice!:clapping:

If you're interested, I'm just about to sell my 04 CTT with 59k miles. All updates have been done and it's in immaculate shape. I have the Upsolute computer program and pre-cat bypass. I have brand-new tires (<5k miles) on color matched 22" rims and an extra set of rims. The car has been babied and I'm selling to get something more fuel efficient. 550+HP takes gas. I did take it to the drag strip once and did a 13.1 in thw quarter. Call if you're interested 937-603-0982.

Matt