Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche battery maintainer question

I use the Porsche brand battery maintainer on my 996 for the winter. I recently noticed that the red light on the unit that plugs into an outlet is on all the time. I think that it used to go out, only staying lit when the charging circuit is in use. That makes me wonder if I have a drain now that I did not used to have. Can someone else with the battery maintainer let me know whether or not the light really does go out?

Not sure if this is related, but I noticed that the red light on my radio flashes on and off (single flash). I was thinking it only does that when the car is locked (the car is unlocked). Am I wrong about that?

I think I noted the same thing when I first started using the Porsche battery maintainer. I hooked them up exactly opposite to what the printed instruction were. When I hooked everything up according to the instructions the service lite on the power unit went off after 5 or 6 hours.

So...

When you want to charge you need to plug the lighter end into the car's lighter first, then the power unit into the electrical source (outlet).

When you want to stop the charge remove the power unit from the electrical source first then remove plug from the cigarette lighter second.

Hope this helps...

Jim

I think Porsche offers at least two styles of trickle chargers, but they function the same. My charger is all black plastic. When connected per directions the red light does go out. The first time I connected the charger, the light was on for about 18 hours.

Thank you both for the responses. You are exactly correct. I followed directions the first time and plugged into the cigarette lighter, then the wall outlet. The second time I didn't. Who would have thought it mattered. Next time I will follow directions.

Used the snowblower this morning (Boston). Its going to be a long 3 months waiting to get my C2 back on the road. I wonder if they make PSE for an Ariens...

• 11 months later...