Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspension issues

G'day all,

I've been searching the forums for suspension advice for a squeak I get over sharp bumps at slow-mod speeds. I think I've narrowed it down to the wishbone/lower control arm.

My dumb question is:

When inspecting the various bushings/joints, what am I looking for? I'm guessing wear & tear on the rubber, but does it have to be torn/cracked for it to be unserviceable?

When I lay under the right wishbone I can see right through a part of the rubber bushing. Having said that the left wishbone rubber bushing appears to have thinner rubber in line with the car axis(ie. the rubber isn't symmetrical about the central bearing, there appears to be more rubber in one axis). Can anyone confirm whether the rubber is consistent thickness around the central bearing of the wishbone? Or if you should be able to see through part of it (probably NOT I guess)? Do I need to replace both left & right wishbones (like struts & tyres)?

Also, when checking the rear struts, one has a slight oil leak from the main strut housing. Does that make it immediately unserviceable? When pushing down on that corner of the car, it springs back up in one oscillation crisply.

Thank you very much for your time guys,

Matt

P.S. With car up on stands (wheels still on) & wiggling the top of the front springs makes a clicking noise at the top of the strut tower? Is the bearing gone? Nuts are all torques to spec 24ftlbs & 59ftlbs respectively.

The lower control arm has two bushings - one that is about a third of the way back to which the transverse control arm attaches, and one in the rear where it attaches to the suspension subframe.

I have attached a picture of the bushing for the transverse control arm. I have somewhere in my garage the rear bushing, but I cannot find at the moment. It is same except it is skinnier and longer - more cartridge like.

You can see the rubber is attached to the outside cylinder in two places opposite of each other. If this were installed, the bushing would not have the oblong shape, and you would be able to see through some in the thin spots. But not in the two big, beefy spots.

You are looking for torn, cracked, dried out rubber. You may have to lift the corner and apply pressure in various ways to see if there are cracks. Unfortauntely, a thorough inspection, one with 100 percent certainty, you might need to remove the control arm. Alternatively, if you feel any play where the control arm attaches to the subframe, and the bolts are tight, that would tell you the bushing is likely shot. Same for play where the transverse control arm connects.

If you find they need replacing, you do not have to replace the whole control arm - you can get replacement bushings and press the old out and press new ones in. But look at the rubber boot are the ball joint too - see if it is torn. If it is torn, you might want to go with a new arm.

A stud at the top of the strut passes through a rubber bushing of the same design. If it moves, the bushing is probably bad. Strut mounts are not terribly expense. The steering bearing probably would not make a clicking sound. It is just two pieces of shape rubber/plasic with small ball bearings in between to allow the strut to more freely rotate with steering angle.

post-26886-0-17451900-1302884450_thumb.j

Wow, thanks for the quick & thorough reply!!

Looking at your bushing image, mine looks the same, the rubber isn't completely surrounding the inner bearing.

All the rubber joints look good, just dirty. I think I'm going to change the shock mounts first, whilst on leave, & take if from there.

I really appreciate the input as this is my first suspension job.

Cheers,

Matt