Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

headlight/turnsignal problem

Hi All,

I have a 2003 C4s up here in Canada. I have had the car about 5 years now and just after I got it had a bunch of driver's side front turn signal problems. Popped the headlight assembly in and out just because it was easy, replaced the bulbs a couple of times. Sometimes fixed the problem. Long story short there was a contact that was corroded/bent and one of the dealership mechanics bent it back into place and all was well. This same problem has recently recurred and the dealership is now telling me that the only solution is to swap out the whole light assembly at a cost of ~$3000. Has anybody come across this?

cheers,

Simon

Depends where the bent connector is - if it is in the headlight assembly itself - you could try to bend back again - clean with flux cleaner from electronics store and put it back - I'd try that before spending $3K .... I had turn signal problem also - connectors did not look bent or corroded - so I simply cleaned them with the flux spray - and seated the assembly carefully again. Works fine now.

Are all the lights not working or just turn signal ? If it is just turn signal - could also be the bulb holder - try cleaning that, especially the spring contact inside (I think you can also get a new holder that should not cost a lot). Another thing to check would be the ground connection - if I recall there is a big brown wire inside the wing - bolted to the metal - try unbolting that and cleaning with WD40 or something like that - and then reseating it.

If the problem is with the connector inside the car wing (not on the light assembly itself) that should be much cheaper to replace (i'd go to a good indie). I'm not sure you can buy just a connector and replace the one on the light assembly - you might ask local TV repair shop if that is possible (for example). But if you order light assembly yourself from Pelican Parts I think cost is <$2K and it would take 10 minutes to replace - so $3K from dealer seems high .... ask a local indie for another opinion ....

Depends where the bent connector is - if it is in the headlight assembly itself - you could try to bend back again - clean with flux cleaner from electronics store and put it back - I'd try that before spending $3K .... I had turn signal problem also - connectors did not look bent or corroded - so I simply cleaned them with the flux spray - and seated the assembly carefully again. Works fine now.

Are all the lights not working or just turn signal ? If it is just turn signal - could also be the bulb holder - try cleaning that, especially the spring contact inside (I think you can also get a new holder that should not cost a lot). Another thing to check would be the ground connection - if I recall there is a big brown wire inside the wing - bolted to the metal - try unbolting that and cleaning with WD40 or something like that - and then reseating it.

If the problem is with the connector inside the car wing (not on the light assembly itself) that should be much cheaper to replace (i'd go to a good indie). I'm not sure you can buy just a connector and replace the one on the light assembly - you might ask local TV repair shop if that is possible (for example). But if you order light assembly yourself from Pelican Parts I think cost is <$2K and it would take 10 minutes to replace - so $3K from dealer seems high .... ask a local indie for another opinion ....

thanks for the suggestions. It is just the turn signal now but the city light has also been a problem now and then with a normal bulb. Will try cleaning the contacts and see how it goes for a while. Seems that it is the actual contact that the whole light assembly attaches to the car electrical system is the fault. It is a Litronic unit so even though the whole headlight essentially pops in and out, apparently cannot reconstruct the turn signal portion well. Searched the pelican parts site and with import duties and our other funny taxes coming over the border will not save me much if anything. Will keep the headlight as a "spare" or offer it up to someone for cheap.

cheers

Simon

If you do end up having to buy a new assembly it might be worthwhile to try to find a used one. They do appear on ebay occasionally. I would also recommend calling Randy at Whale Tail Porsche in Waterloo (as a Canadian source). I have had good experiences dealing with him in the recent past.

My turn signal problem also came back today. I'm starting to think it might be the switch itself. If other lights are working in the headlight assembly it is unlikely to be a ground problem - and it would be strange that the turn signal pin is the only one with a problem (but of course not impossible). I think the switch assembly on the steering wheel is a common problem - mine is already somewhat broken - the auto-off does not work on the turn signal in one direction the turn signal will not stay on in the other direction unless I hold it. From the wiring diagram it is not clear if front and rear lamps run through the same contact at the switch or if they have separate contacts - hazard flashers work -but also only 3 bulbs light - but I'm not sure where the wires from the hazard switch combine with the wires from the column switch - problem must be after that point i'd guess. The switch is only a $200 part and I think fairly easy DIY - so I might try that next since it needs replacing anyway (I have bi-xeon lights - not Litronic as far as I know).

OK - I removed headlight again today - pins 1 and 4 tested with ohm meter - no connection (this is why no turn signal) - I also checked pins 1 and 4 (1 is bottom left as you look at it) on the white connector in the wing/fender with voltmeter when hazzards were flashing (so I was sure I am getting voltage there), I removed turn signal bulb again - and bent the spring contacts inside the headlight housing out a very little (with small screwdriver) - cleaned contacts on socket with light sanding and carefully reseated the turn signal socket - and retested pins 1 and 4 again - this time I got good reading on ohm meter (no resistance). It took me 3 goes to re-seat the headlight housing in the fender again - and lock it down - tested with hazzard flashers and parking light to make sure connection was still good - before closing everything back up again. Hopefully this fix works for a while now ....

this is very similar to what I am dealing with, the dealer has done the temporary fix with bending and cleaning the spring contact on the headlight assembly but there is a problem in the light housing itself apparently, so their only reliable solution is the new headlight a$$embly. the switches etc. are all okay with continuity tester. Good luck.

simon

OK - I removed headlight again today - pins 1 and 4 tested with ohm meter - no connection (this is why no turn signal) - I also checked pins 1 and 4 (1 is bottom left as you look at it) on the white connector in the wing/fender with voltmeter when hazzards were flashing (so I was sure I am getting voltage there), I removed turn signal bulb again - and bent the spring contacts inside the headlight housing out a very little (with small screwdriver) - cleaned contacts on socket with light sanding and carefully reseated the turn signal socket - and retested pins 1 and 4 again - this time I got good reading on ohm meter (no resistance). It took me 3 goes to re-seat the headlight housing in the fender again - and lock it down - tested with hazzard flashers and parking light to make sure connection was still good - before closing everything back up again. Hopefully this fix works for a while now ....

Yeah - I think socket for turn signal bulb is just badly designed ... I noticed plastic locking mechanism for one of the other bulbs in the assembly was not in very good condition either (but there is no contacts on that cover - just wiring inside). If it is really a problem inside the headlight assembly - it should be easy to test with continuity tester - not sure how the wiring runs inside the assembly from connector to socket - but I still think the spring contacts are the most likely culprit here - it's not worth throwing $2000+ at that problem when a little metal bending should work ! Let's see. This is my first Porsche - so far not impressed with the engineering (at least not until I floor the throttle ... :) )

• 2 years later...

Had the same problem on my 2003 996 Turbo. Replaced the turn signal bulb and nothing - the turn signal did not work after several attemps to resit it. Read this thread and took the general advice. I readjusted the housing cover contacts, sprayed some WD-40 on the brown ground cable on the housing which had some visible corrosion and it solved the problem! Turn light now working and saved a trip to the mechanic or having to replace the headlight housing. Thank to everyone who contributed to solving this problem :-)