Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 S Fuel Line Interference Issue

I've got a 2000S. I'm having the fuel filling issue where the nozzle shuts off quickly after starting to fill the tank. I can start it again, but it keeps popping off like the tank is full. I've checked the flapper at the fender and I get the "click" when I open it with my finger.

My question is, could a MY2000 car have the fuel line interference with the internal flapper? I thought that was fixed with a redesign for the 2000 model year. If it could be the lines, how empty does the fuel tank need to be to remove the pump assembly without submerging my hands in gasoline?

If it's not the internal lines, then the next culprit is the charcoal canister?

I replaced the "vent valve" on my 2000 S and did it wrong the first time resulting in a situation where I couldn't get any gas in the tank. In my case I didn't put the trigger unit in correctly. It's a piece about the size of a pencil with a small wiring harness connector.

This is my old vent valve. Actually I don't think there was anything wrong with the original but I broke it taking it off. It only cost about $35.

gasventvalve001.jpg

A picture of the trigger unit. A new one comes with the valve.

ventunit001.jpg

The trigger unit fits into a recess in the vent valve, right against the fill tube. I don't know for sure but I think it must be a magnetic switch.

ventvalve2002.jpg

If you push the little tab on the vent valve with a small screwdriver (visible at the edge of the filler pipe surround) the car will accept gas slowly even if the venting system is messed up. I had to do this once before I figured out that I'd didn't put the trigger unit in the right place when I installed a new vent valve.

I'd say you should jack up the right front, pull the wheel and the inner fender liner and look around. All the components are right there, including the charcoal cannister control valves. First check the fuse but it doesn't sound like thats your problem if you hear a click when you move the flapper back.

Edited by Dale_K

• 4 weeks later...

In Washington state, most gas stations have the vapor recovery hood over the nozzle. I found a Shell that doesn't have the hood, just a "naked" nozzle (horror of horrors) and I can fill the tank fully. The last two times I tried filling the tank with hooded nozzles, it wouldn't fill all the way. Is this an indication that the "vent valve" is on it's way out? Something else?