Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil change question

Quick question, does the small O ring HAVE to be replaced at every oil change or can it be done every other oil change? I ask this because I have an event coming up this weekend and the small O ring part will take till Monday to arrive. I have all the other necessary parts though. Any advice would be helpful thanks!

I had the same issue and reused mine on my '01turbo but also checked periodically just in case (Do NOT over-tighten, or life will bedcome messy and complicated;-). After that time I order them 2-3 at a time so I always have them, I also get the copper/bronze crush gaskets for the turbo sumps as well, those are holy hell to find locally if in a pinch.

HTH

//Anders

Quick question, does the small O ring HAVE to be replaced at every oil change or can it be done every other oil change? I ask this because I have an event coming up this weekend and the small O ring part will take till Monday to arrive. I have all the other necessary parts though. Any advice would be helpful thanks!

It should come with the new oil filter - I always change them.

The new oil filter has the Large O ring. The small one is part #, 999 707 465 40. So still confused on what to do haha

Edited by ra996tt

999.707.465.40 O-ring -- US MSRP $8.38

996.100.970.29 Replacement engine (complete) -- US MSRP $66,239.69

Choice seems simple to me...

:lol: I agree as well but just wanted to make sure as I am new to these cars and the dealer says they don't replace the small o ring on oil changes. Scary! :eek: I'm glad I do work on my car

• 8 months later...

I just bought the 999-707-465-40 o-ring from my dealer and paid $12.06 (and that was with a PCA member discount). The dealership cost was $4.73. Even the dealer is paying through the nose for this part. If it's so critical to be changed with each new filter, then why doesn't come with the kit. This is simply a 10mm ID, 14 mm OD, 2 mm wall Viton O-ring (70a Durometer). McMaster has them for $9.10 for a pack of 25. Viton is chemical and oil resistant and god for up to +400° F. Near as I can tell this OEM o-ring is about 70a soft.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

(Yeah... I know there will be some that say I should be the one to test it.) :D

• Admin

I just bought the 999-707-465-40 o-ring from my dealer and paid $12.06 (and that was with a PCA member discount). The dealership cost was $4.73. Even the dealer is paying through the nose for this part. If it's so critical to be changed with each new filter, then why doesn't come with the kit. This is simply a 10mm ID, 14 mm OD, 2 mm wall Viton O-ring (70a Durometer). McMaster has them for $9.10 for a pack of 25. Viton is chemical and oil resistant and god for up to +400° F. Near as I can tell this OEM o-ring is about 70a soft.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

(Yeah... I know there will be some that say I should be the one to test it.) :D

MSRP (as of January 2012) is $8.79 -- so perhaps it's time to find a new dealer.