Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Porsche Boxster Owner - some questions

I recently bought a used 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 91k miles in California (where I live).

It was fairly cheap, but as a result of that, I am having some issues.

I have searched the forums and found some information, but nothing directly relating to these issues:

• The central locking does not work. Pressing the lock butting on the key fob does nothing; if i press it twice/three times, the horn beeps twice, but nothing happens. Pressing the lock button inside the car does nothing. Locking the drivers side door locks the door, but not both doors. I am going to remove the drivers seat tomorrow and check the fuse in the alarm box. There does not seem to be any dampness around there, however.
  • Neither electric windows work. The buttons seem to be a little sticky so im unsure if it is the buttons or the windows themselves. When I open/close the doors, the windows do lower/raise a little as they should.
  • The clutch is slipping in high gears. Lame. In my old Nissan 240sx this was an expensive fix. I'm sure for the Porsche it'll be worse.. Estimates? I presume I need to fix the IMS issue at the same time..
  • The roof opening/closing is intermittent. It would not work earlier, and bashing the panel a little and then trying again fixed it. However it still randomly stops working sometimes. Parking light is on.
  • The passenger seat electric reclining adjuster button works going back, but not forward. It doesn't seem to push forward at all. :/
  • The two alarm sensors where the convertible "Push" lever is have no covers; is this correct?

Long list... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Electrical gremlins are always impossible to diagnose. Make sure to check all the relays and fuse located on the drivers side as a first step. Inspect if there are any sign of corrosion or water stains/damage. Also, inspect under both drivers side and passenger seat for wet carpet of sign of water. If there are sign of corrosion in the fuse/relay box the this car might have been in a flood.

How does the car drive and run?

Electrical gremlins are always impossible to diagnose. Make sure to check all the relays and fuse located on the drivers side as a first step. Inspect if there are any sign of corrosion or water stains/damage. Also, inspect under both drivers side and passenger seat for wet carpet of sign of water. If there are sign of corrosion in the fuse/relay box the this car might have been in a flood.

How does the car drive and run?

All the fuses are fine, I'm not sure how to check the relays?

I also removed the drivers seat and checked the fuse in the alarm box; it was fine. There was no sign of water damage or even dampness.

I removed the window switches and cleaned them up with electrical spray but still no luck. The connections looked fine but I have no way to check if the switches actually work. Should the heated seat switches work in place for the window switches?

The car runs great and drives great, other than the clutch which will be fixed in the next few weeks.