Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Absolutely you can replace this without splitting the cases. You can do it with the engine in the car, but will have to support it so you can remove the rear engine carrier to have good access to the oil pump. Can't remember if you have to take the whole oil pump off or just the cover over the gears.

Thanks for the quick reply. Reason I ask this is because when doing the IMS retrofit I remember reading about the ims tube resting on the oil pump console... and I guess I would be concerned about removing the oil pump cover/console - thereby relieving tension on the ims tube (thereby messing up timing/snapping shafts/etc.)...

I found this thread over on rennlist I think I will post there and ask the person how they did this.

That and I found this on the LN website:

From http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Do you offer an upgraded oil pump drive that goes into the IMS?

Yes, we now offer a heat treated chromoly oil pump hex drive to replace the cheap factory pump drive, which has known to fail, shearing in two, resulting in a catastrophic loss of oil pressure.

The oil pump drive is located off the intermediate shaft on the opposite side that hold the ball bearing and mates to the oil pump console, located on the front of the engine. This part should not be changed with the engine in the car, as the oil pump console must be removed to R&R the oil pump drive.

Edited by logray

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the quick reply. Reason I ask this is because when doing the IMS retrofit I remember reading about the ims tube resting on the oil pump console... and I guess I would be concerned about removing the oil pump cover/console - thereby relieving tension on the ims tube (thereby messing up timing/snapping shafts/etc.)...I found this thread over on rennlist I think I will post there and ask the person how they did this.That and I found this on the LN website:From http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.htmlDo you offer an upgraded oil pump drive that goes into the IMS?Yes, we now offer a heat treated chromoly oil pump hex drive to replace the cheap factory pump drive, which has known to fail, shearing in two, resulting in a catastrophic loss of oil pressure. The oil pump drive is located off the intermediate shaft on the opposite side that hold the ball bearing and mates to the oil pump console, located on the front of the engine. This part should not be changed with the engine in the car, as the oil pump console must be removed to R&R the oil pump drive.

oilpumpdrive1.JPG

Thats what I read but I dont think its true I think you can remove the shaft with the engine in the car you just to remove the whole back of the motor to get to it. I will be doing this soon.