Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ok guys, here is my quandry. I am trying to decide between a 2006 C4S in Atlas Grey, Tiptronic, Sports Chrono, Nav, Which looks ok, but I would want to modify with a different set of Rims, possible facelift with AeroKit, PSE 48k miles with CPO. or 2007 C2S (also CPO) Manual has the Aerokit, has the nice RIMS, still does not have PSE. I intend to use the car year round, yes even in the snow, however, I am told the difference with a C2 and C4 with Snow Tires would be negligible. So - is the C4S a year older has the additional 10k more in miles over the C2, worth the AWD? Any advice would be appreciated. I currently own a 99 C2.

Ok guys, here is my quandry. I am trying to decide between a 2006 C4S in Atlas Grey, Tiptronic, Sports Chrono, Nav, Which looks ok, but I would want to modify with a different set of Rims, possible facelift with AeroKit, PSE 48k miles with CPO. or 2007 C2S (also CPO) Manual has the Aerokit, has the nice RIMS, still does not have PSE. I intend to use the car year round, yes even in the snow, however, I am told the difference with a C2 and C4 with Snow Tires would be negligible. So - is the C4S a year older has the additional 10k more in miles over the C2, worth the AWD? Any advice would be appreciated. I currently own a 99 C2.

JoeA,

I have had both a C4S and a C2S, both driven in winter snow. I got a 996 C4S, with your exact thoughts in mind, to have a daily year round driver, the AWD was great, then I had the opportunity to get a 997 C2S, which I still have, and with which I have just completed my 3rd winter. I have not seen any difference with the 2 wheel drive car, over the 4 wheel drive. They both had Pirelli winter tires, which have performed well. Given your choice I would go for the newer car with less miles, the thing to think about is the aero kit in the snow and ground clearance, otherwise go for the 2007.

Good luck and enjoy your new cars.

I have c4s and at only 80mph went spinning on highway in a rain after hitting a tiny puddle. I could be a really bad driver but those wide tires dont hold rain or snow on speed. Winter tires on the other hand make huge difference but I am sure you know that. (check on c4s you may need to buy new rear disks for winter)

Hey Joe,

Looks to me like you have other factors to consider too.. Manual vs tiptronic? Not sure how much it means to you, but that's a huge decision too, regardless of 2wd vs 4wd.

There is also the 2 inch wider rear end on the C4S, in my opinion stands out more and looks awesome, and wider rear wheels/tires (305 vs 295 tire size).

The better balance with the front axle, psm for awd, preloading brake cylinder feature are different and nice upgrades on C4S.

Also, consider how much time is left on both CPO's and when they expire. New extened warranty's will run ya around $3k

I have experienced greater confidence in handling (especially tight corners) in the dry in a C4S, so in the snow or rain I would only expect that confidence

to grow even greater with AWD. The 2wd Carrera's front end tends to get light and push a lot more then the AWD 4S in tight corners and accellerating

hard through the exit. I found I had to be a lot more restrained in the 2S vs 4S during some spirited canyon driving with my friends 2S and then less

restrained and more confident jumping back into my 4S. This all being in dry weather ! I can not comment on snow conditions, because I will not drive

my C4S in the snow, plus living in Southern Cal, we don't get much snow out here. But rain conditions.... I love hearing and feeling all 4 wheels clawing

for traction ;^)

My advice.... decide what it is you REALLY want... be very patient and search some more. It took me 6 months to find my C4S and it has every option I wanted,

fully loaded, beautiful interior, exterior color, wheels, tires, LOW mileage, and great price. IT was the EXACT car I wanted and dreamed about. I have NO regrets whatsoever.

God was looking out for me because out of frustration I almost purchased a different C4S that I was going to "settle on". I got my cashiers check for the full amount,

drove 2 hours to the dealership and when I got there some one had called 20 minutes before and put a deposit on the car over the phone. I was devastated

because I had spent a lot of time "convincing" myself that one was the car and best I could find, but in my heart I knew I was settling. So my gut never felt right

about it.. 2 months later I found my PERFECT 911 and I knew it the instant I saw her. I could not hand my check over fast enough I was so excited....

I hope you can find one like that.. that you know instantly , "this is the one for me" ;^)

In the mean time take a few more test drives in both automatic vs manual, 2wd vs awd and see if you can get a good feel for how they differ through the canyons.

Dry daily city driving they will feel the same. It is the extremes where the difference will stand out. All the Best on your search.

Bill

C4S in snow :clapping:

Edited by qikqbn

The difference between the c4, and the C2 on snow or ice shows up most in the slow speed driving you end up doing. Stopped on a snow covered incline, bumper to bumper traffic on a cambered snow covered road, getting into my garage from the alley. I'm in OH, and was able to drive every snow day, I got a C4S for it's big behind and for the little bit better traction all wheel drive gives you in snow, but it is only marginally better.