Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I4E2 - Interior Tailgate Release, electrical

If I lookup my VIN# - it lists this as one of the options installed.. but darned if I can find it. An earlier ('04) Cayenne that I drove had some switches in the drivers side door pocket that I believe were the release.. none on my pepper..

Any clues? Could Porsche's computer be WRONG? Should I try to file a claim and get them to install it..?:jump:

Interesting. Mine has neither switch. The fuel door works just like a BMW one - it only locks when the alarm is set (I guess BMW thinks it unlikely that your fuel will be stolen while driving the car.. so do I..)

Funny how the Germans do things sometimes. Had a loaner Audi 2.0T when the truck was in for repair, went to get fuel, only to find out I had no clue how to open the fuel door. Called the dealership, ended up talking to a German mechanic, who with a heavy accent finally got me to look at the back of the inside of the drivers door pocket (completely invisible from the drivers seat).. where I found a trunk release and a fuel door release.

About as odd as the Cayenne location for the disabling buttons for the alarm tilt/interior-sensor buttons. "Lets hide them near the floor on the B pillar Hans.."

So apparently Porsche's computer CAN be wrong on options. I should sue (just kidding! :rolleyes: )

Interesting is right. My fuel door is always locked until I activate the switch and I have no buttons that I know of to disable the alarm unless I select the feature from the multi-function display.

I too have the MFD version regarding tilt/interior sensing alarm disabling.

The disabling tilt and interior sensing button on the B pillar was introduced on the later model Cayennes.

So how do you open your fuel panel door?

Edited by bigbuzuki

The disabling tilt and interior sensing button on the B pillar was introduced on the later model Cayennes.

If the car is unlocked - the fuel door is unlocked. Press on the trailing edge and it pops open. And it doesn't lock with the auto-lock for speed - it only locks when you lock the car with the key (button or in the door.)

Just like my BMWs actually. Seems much simpler then having to press a button to open the fuel door.

Edited by deilenberger

I have an 06 CTTS and have the exact same question...my VIN clearly states that I have powered rear closure....i definitely cannot find any open or close switches!

I think we are talking about two different things. There is power assist closure (which is where the latch assembly pulls the tailgate fully closed once it's engaged) and power open/close (where the tailgate can be opened or closed using power.) There is no button for power assist closure, although it appears that some models did get buttons for the electrical latch release in the drivers door pocket (along with a button for the fuel door.)

If the car is unlocked - the fuel door is unlocked. Press on the trailing edge and it pops open. And it doesn't lock with the auto-lock for speed - it only locks when you lock the car with the key (button or in the door.)

Just like my BMWs actually. Seems much simpler then having to press a button to open the fuel door.

Mmm, I think the deliberate action of pushing a fuel panel release switch provides just that extra bit of security especially if the car is unlocked, and their are little kiddies around.

Edited by bigbuzuki

Mmm, I think the deliberate action of pushing a fuel panel release switch provides just that extra bit of security especially if the car is unlocked, and their are little kiddies around.

?? I've never felt insecure with the car unlocked - if I do - I lock it. And what are little kiddies going to do with an unlocked fuel door? They can't drink from it.. are they inhaling fuel vapors?

Color me confused in NJ.. :rolleyes:

........ And what are little kiddies going to do with an unlocked fuel door?

An opportunity to do a lot more than a locked one. :thumbup:

My Audi RS6 has the fuel filler door like your Cayenne. The door is locked when the car is locked, when the car is un-locked you just push on the back of the door and it opens.

My '06 CTTS has the switch in the door pocket as well as for the rear hatch. Must say I don't car for the fuel switch in the door pocket, I do know Audi has done this on some of their cars, I'm glad they didn't on my RS6.

This is strange tho, is almost like those are part of a missing electric comfort package, I must admit I have never seen a Cayenne without the fuel filler and hatch release buttons to the rear of the door bin.

An interior latch release would be useful for when a valet/porter is trying to unload luggage. The button for the fuel door - useless IMHO. Guess that's why BMWs have the interior rear-hatch/trunk-lid release button, and no fuel door release (the fuel door unlocks when the car is unlocked.)

Could be that the wiring for the fuel door release and tailgate release is hidden behind the door panel and was never connected or wrong type door interior panel may have been installed or replaced in the past, but this wouldn't explain why the simple push pull fuel panel latch works.

Would be interesting to know if the fuel door release actuator is fitted.

Definately very strange/suspect that the I4E2 code is listed but not active.

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 2 years later...

So, I have a weird situation. I can close the fuel door and it clicks to stay closed when I push it in. Then I can lock it (with remote) and the metal rod shoots out and locks the fuel door but here is the problem. When I hit the unlock (with remote), the metal rod will not retract back to allow me to pop the fuel door back open. End result is, I have to open the hatch, reach into the side panel and pop the emergency rubber band just to put fuel into it.

I though replacing the actuator would solve my problem but I new one functions in the same manner. Does anyone have any idea what the problem or problems is?

Here is a picture of the rod.

post-92686-0-98392900-1386541882_thumb.j

• Moderators

Does the actuator works outside the car with the connector plugs in? If yes then there is something wrong with the lock or adjustments. If not check the wiring for breakage and the corresponding output on the control box for missing signal.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

If the actuator works well with an additional power source, it seems that either the respective wire is interupted or not receiving power. This can be easily traced with a multimeter.