Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

window lowering function

2006 996 C2 Cab 6spd.

As with several others on this forum my driver side window regulator cable was stretched causing my window not to lower during the window lowering function cycle, causing the glass to hit the roof when the door was shut. I was manually lowering the glass about ½ inch each time prior to shutting the door.

I replaced my window regulator and followed the provided window adjustment procedure. Everything appears to function properly except the window lowering function travel is only 4mm causing the glass to still hit the roof when the door is shut. I tried to retrain the window but noticed no change. I took some measurements I thought might help explain:

When I open the driver door with the interior or exterior handle the glass only travels down 4mm in either case (passenger side is 13mm). With the door closed the roof overlaps the glass by 5mm (passenger side is 4-8mm). When I raise the glass with the door open I get 15mm of upward travel upon closing the door; this seams to work properly (passenger side is 13mm).

If I lower the glass any further I am afraid water will get in. I searched the site for any other adjustment procedures but could not find anything.

Is there a way to adjust the window lowering function? Why would it be 4mm when using the door handles and 13mm with the door open? Any help would be greatly appreciated…

I need to replace my regulator as well soon, let me know if you come up with a way to correct just in case I run into the same issue. I noticed you are from Belle River Ont, so I'm I (live near the arena), if you’re interested in meeting send me a PM and I will get you my email, would be nice to know another P-Car owner in the area.

2006 996 C2 Cab 6spd.

As with several others on this forum my driver side window regulator cable was stretched causing my window not to lower during the window lowering function cycle, causing the glass to hit the roof when the door was shut. I was manually lowering the glass about ½ inch each time prior to shutting the door.

I replaced my window regulator and followed the provided window adjustment procedure. Everything appears to function properly except the window lowering function travel is only 4mm causing the glass to still hit the roof when the door is shut. I tried to retrain the window but noticed no change. I took some measurements I thought might help explain:

When I open the driver door with the interior or exterior handle the glass only travels down 4mm in either case (passenger side is 13mm). With the door closed the roof overlaps the glass by 5mm (passenger side is 4-8mm). When I raise the glass with the door open I get 15mm of upward travel upon closing the door; this seams to work properly (passenger side is 13mm).

If I lower the glass any further I am afraid water will get in. I searched the site for any other adjustment procedures but could not find anything.

Is there a way to adjust the window lowering function? Why would it be 4mm when using the door handles and 13mm with the door open? Any help would be greatly appreciated…

I believe you need to adjust the microswitch in the door that controls the amount ofglass travel for opening before the door is actually opened. In your car it appears the microswitch has moved on the drivers door causing your problem with incorrect travel. Good Luck!! Demosan

Thanks for the advice. I looked into the microswitches. According to one of the threads I found there are 7 in total related to the door but none of them seam to set/limit the window travel. The thread indicates "When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open,which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM."

Can you please explain further which micro switch you are refering to?

If it is controlled by the ACM is it possible this needs to be adjusted due to the replaced regulator?

Thanks for the advice. I looked into the microswitches. According to one of the threads I found there are 7 in total related to the door but none of them seam to set/limit the window travel. The thread indicates "When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open,which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM."

Can you please explain further which micro switch you are refering to?

If it is controlled by the ACM is it possible this needs to be adjusted due to the replaced regulator?

This may sound odd but check all of the four fuses related to the power windows. After replacing my regulator, the windows would lower on their own whenever I closed the door, then they stopped working. I was surprised to find four different fuses related to the windows with one blown. Worth a check..

Edited by Loren

• 2 weeks later...

You can adjust the position of the window using the adjustment screws that are accessible from the bottom of the door. There's no need to remove the door panel. I believe you can turn them with a 4.5mm or 5mm socket - I don't recall. They are accessed with the window down and the rubber caps removed. These won't allow you to change the amount of travel, but if you get the window into a better position then it might work properly and not interfere with the rubber weather strip.

Dennis,

I think you are right. I had considered this but felt that if I lowered the window any further I would risk water getting in. However, this may be the only solution. I'll have to see if I can cheat it enough that I clear the roof but not let water in. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...