Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic Adjustment...is it possible

Just bought a 2000 Porsche Boxster that came with Litronics Headlights. Not sure if they are stock or aftermarket. However, the headlights are aimed low and when I turn on the high beams; it seems that the low beams move their aim up. My question is whether or not I can adjust the aim of the low beams...can someone please help with instructions?

• Moderators

If they are the factory option then 601 is on the option sticker and you will have headlight washers.

Low is Xenon and high is halogen. When you turn on high, the low beam rotates up a few degrees, to fill in with the high beam.

Adjustment instructions are in the owners manual if you have one.

The adjustments for litronics are the same as for standard headlights - see the manual. There are two screws, accessible from the trunk that control vertical and horizontal alignment.

If you cannot adjust the beams to where you think they should be aimed at, then you may want to take the assembly apart. I know of at least 4 units that had one of the gymbal jump out of its socket (easy, but tricky DIY fix), and one unit where the gymbal housing had cracked (needed replacement - new unit).

Like Jeff says - the low beams rotate up when you turn on the high beams and stay on. The high beams also light up.

If your car has the headlight washers, the units came standard, and they should be self-leveling. If aftermarket, they behave like regular lights. If your car has the headlight washers you may have to check the self-leveling mechanism. It may have been dialed in wrong.

Hi GW - yes,

the adjustment for litronics is the same as for non-litronics - see page 229 and 230 of your (european) manual or pages 236 and 237 of your (us) manual. European and US cars have a different beam pattern, but adjusting them is similar.

Your litronics are leveled when the ignition is on (engine does not have to run) and the low beams are on. The manual recommends someone sit in the driver seat, load up the tank, start the car, roll forward (level surface), and let the car settle. Adjusting them is then the same as aftermarket litronics that just go to the 'default' position.

I find it useful to follow their procedures in front of a garage door to 'dial' them in, and then find a dark street to adjust them for 'vision'.

To explain this: the recommended instructions keep the beam aimed (well) below the front bumper of oncoming traffic. With a little adjusting, you can set them such that they light up (bottom of) the license plates of oncoming traffic. A little higher and you would blind them (beams actually begins to point upwards).

It is very tricky to get them right so you don't blind oncoming traffic, but still have forward visibility. But also rewarding.

I adjusted my headlights last night; what a difference!  I love the Litronics lights...thanks for all of your help.  Henry V...just curious to how you become so knowledgeable about Boxsters.

Great it worked out.

Credits go to Toolpants. Like you, I knew little about this stuff, and was actually referred to Jeff by the parts department at the local dealership as he could probably answer some of my questions 'better' than they could.

Since then I have seen my share of P-cars, and you pick up a think or two along the way.

at_henrys_2.jpg