Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

problem with drainage tube

Like many of you with older 996 cars, I found water under the carpet behind the drivers seat and under the rear seat. I know the primary problem are blocked drain outlets, but I think I have a more serious problem. I put the convertible top in service mode and inspected the drain holes. All clear. I followed the drain lines per the diagrams and found this black tubing that I assume is the drain tube. The tube is split and I can't figure out if I just insert it back into the proper place (have no idea where that would be) or if new tubing needs to be installed. Any help would be appreciated.

One photo is looking at the tube from the outside of the car (looking from the left rear area). The other photo is looking through the rear speaker area ( speaker removed).

I recently cleared the drains on my 2001 cab.... there is a black plastic bin under the rear speakers and window that collect water from the rear area including the convertible top area. I think that tube is supposed to connect to the bottom of the bin. See if there is a fitting on the under side of the bin that your hose could connect to.

David

Make sure the drain in the reservoir is clear as well. They tend to plug up with dust and debris.

In both pics you can see that U style clip on the side of the bin ( silver in color). The tube should clip in to that and then the outlet of the tube should be inside the bin. If the tube is split in half tho you will need to purchase a new tube.

Finally got around to taking off the rear wheel. Inspected the front drain and yup! totally blocked drain. Seems this is the primary reason for water behind the rear seats and rear foot well. Picture below.Easy to clean and drain worked fine after. Testing drain by pouring water into the drain behind the speaker and now drains quickly. I suggest everyone keeping an eye on these drains.post-34564-0-69341300-1310804930_thumb.j

• 10 years later...

I just took off my two rear passenger panels to check the drains. They were actually mostly clean and one had a missing splash guard (made replacement from white semi-stiff plastic packaging). I used a toothbrush and simple green to clean all of the rubber trim around the clamshell and the "chutes" into the drain bins. Not sure why my passenger rear rug is wet. Could of been that the drains are partially blocked and I flooded them using a mechanical carwash. I still need to remove the rear wheels and splash guards to check the exit ports.

Highly recommended that you spray both sides of your cab pistons with Finish Line Max Suspension Spray. I had it from servicing the spoiler and wow what an improvement. My top stays in the service position when before it slowly crept back or forward.

IMG_20211207_1441536.jpg

Both sides of my "corrugated tube" were in good shape.(seen to right of the white plastic) Should not be split and also have some grease and o-ring where it connects up top. Then goes down and clips to feed into the bin.

More diagrams and pictures:

Edited by 987_RDC

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Finalized my winter prep project. Removed the rear wheels and took out the clogged "vents"

image.thumb.png.813524d469c64d1a98b903a851ec0697.png

Also replaced the temp white plastic with the proper OEM windage plastic piece.

Added GT3 front brake scoops and also flushed the brake fluid since removed all the wheels.

Edited by 987_RDC